• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

*Gulp* Deep cleaning on Tues...

Thanks @leadtheway!
This procedure is just one next step on my way back to a healthy mouth. And we have to wait a while here in Germany because the health insurance has to pre-approve the procedure. They also want to see if you’re brushing and flossing and willing to put the effort in to keep your teeth clean, so you have to wait a couple of weeks after the initial cleaning (“to prove you’re worthy”!). Otherwise it’s a bit of a waste of time. My dentist said I could make an appointment when I had the approval - but his assistant made sure I had a date before I left. Which was a very wise move! if I’ve got an appointment I’ll go, but lifting up that phone to make an appointment, that’s really difficult.
And they know I’m nervous/anxious, although I don’t show it much. In fact, once I’m in a “dentist-going phase” I am really not a typical phobic patient. If I’m going to have to go through all this treatment then I really want to know what is going on (control freak!) and this time round there is heaps of information out there. So you’re too late with your warning about Google and YouTube. I know full well what is heading my way and actually I think it helps. But then I’ve always been interested in all things medical.
My main problem is when all the work has been done and I get into the maintaining phase. It always takes a lot of energy to make that appointment and sometimes I don’t have that energy and then things just slip until once again I am absolutely terrified of going to the dentist. During that phase I would almost rather die than have my teeth seen to. Until something horrible happens, which could actually kill me and I discover that I really do not want this huge abscess to eat it’s way into my brain or get into my bloodstream and maybe it could kill me.
And then I have to go. And I do. And they don’t hurt me, and they’re super kind and I trust my dentist. And that’s where I am at the moment.
I need to break the cycle though. And am busy planning for that!
So back to my new hobby of brushing and flossing!

@leadtheway :you-rock: :welldone::perfect::dance2: Great advice!! Love the cupcakes as a reward myself.. I always stop at my favorite bakery by my dental office as a reward. :).

Back