• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum bleeding won't stop after deep cleaning.

C

chris330r

I had a deep cleaning root planing/scaling 3 days ago. Immediately afterwards, there was no bleeding and none even the next day. On the 2nd day after the cleaning, I woke up to a mouth full of blood and bleeding under the bottom front tooth. There was also a big clot there as well that when I removed, it began bleeding a lot.

I got nervous and contacted the dentist and went in to have it checked. After looking at it, she said it was normal and the gum just healing because the periodontal pocket was so deep. She gave me gauze and told me it should take a week to completely heal and leave the clot be and if the clot broke off, use the gauze for the bleeding until another clot formed.

I left feeling better and throughout the day the clot stayed in place and no bleeding. However, when I went to bed the next night, I woke to a mouth full of blood again and bleeding. I used the gauze to try and stop it and went back to sleep. A couple hours later same thing. I wake to a mouth full of blood.

It seems laying down makes it bleed right through the clot and i'm scared because i'm losing blood while I sleep. It's Sunday and the dentist is closed and there's no after hour number. I sent an e mail they should read first thing in the morning, but i'm worried about this continuous bleeding.

Currently, the bleeding is stopped and there's a clot. I think as long as i'm not laying down it's ok. But i'm worried about going to sleep tonight and it bleeding again. Could I lose so much blood while sleeping that I pass out and not wake up?

I've had deep cleanings before but never had something like this happen. Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: I went out and picked up Hydrogen Peroxide and when I got home I poured some into a glass and swished it in my mouth undiluted. I took a few ounces straight without water and that seemed to stop the bleeding instantly! After 2 days of bleeding, this worked like a charm.

I'm shocked that the professional dentist didn't recommend my doing this!! In fact it's incredible that they apparently didn't know that. I had to use Google to find out this simple thing to stop the excessive bleeding!

So if anyone else comes here looking for the same thing I was, try that. It's been 5 hours now and no bleeding whatsoever. I'm also being conscious of not eating on that side for a while so not to start it up again.

But Hydrogen Peroxide straight up seems to do the trick for this. (Just don't swallow it. Swish and spit it out.)

If you are not fan of the swishing, you might also want to try dipping a clean Q-tip in the medicine, and gently rub on your gums in the area. Remember to do both sides.

Thanks for the q tip advice. The peroxide foams up in the mouth while swishing, so the q tip may be a more comfortable option. It's almost 24 hours later and still no more bleeding. So the dentist was right and it was just the gum healing from the scaling. Still, 2 days of bleeding is scary and i'm glad it's over. :)

Chris33or,

I'm REALLY glad the hydrogen peroxide worked for you and it stopped bleeding. That sounded pretty scary. Especially that you had it done before and it never did that , I would certainly be concerned.. I hope its better now and now more bleeding relapses..

Thank you. Yes it was very scary, and i'm so glad it's over. But surprisingly the dentist seemed totally unconcerned and said it's completely normal to happen after a scaling when the gum pockets are deep. She said it's simply the gums healing.
I've had scaling done before and it never happened. However, my pockets were not as deep as now so she's probably right. I really, really hate going to the dentist and I stay away for YEARS at a time.
But by doing so, it only made the gum pockets deepen which causes more problems. So I guess we should visit them regularly to prevent these problems.

Back