• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum flap surgery next week. afraid of the shots and surgery. So Scared :((((

G

gogoanon

Gum flap surgery next week. afraid of the shots and surgery. So Scared :((((

So my dentist has tried root scaling and all of that to try and clean my gums, but I still have a few spots where I have deep "6" pockets, so he said that gum flap surgery is the only method that will completely clean out these areas. He's going to end up doing all 4 quadrants, but he's only operating on 1 quadrant at a time.

HOWEVER... one of these areas? Is right in between my TWO FRONT TEETH.

I'm not afraid of dentist needles... except if they need to be given to me on the roof of my mouth.

When I was 10, my dentist at the time had to give me a shot in the roof of my mouth, and it hurt so bad I screamed and everyone in the waiting room heard me and I started shaking and crying hysterically.

So I told my dentist about this, and he confirmed that, yes, he will have to give me shots there, and then he said that he will "bombard the front" (the gums on the side near your cheeks) with medication enough to where it'll help numb the roof a bit, BUT THEN he said: "you'll be able to tell I'm there but... it wont hurt as bad as you remember... and it's only for a second anyway."

Way to backtrack, jerk. This didn't make me feel better at all.

I feel like throwing up. I've never taken any calming medication before a procedure, because I'm afraid of that too. I'm afraid of "not caring"... what if I choke? etc etc, the list of worries goes on and on.

Has anyone here had gum flap surgery? Or, has anyone here had a shot on the roof of there mouth, recently, and care to share their experience?

TO TOP IT ALL OFF: This is happening 2 days before the new college semester begins(i'm a student). I have so many worries right now. I cant handle it all at once. :(

Re: Gum flap surgery next week. afraid of the shots and surgery. So Scared :((((

So sorry you have to go through this. I have never had gum flap surgery, but have had local anesthetic injections in just about every part of my mouth -- including several times in the roof of my mouth. Most recently, when I had to have an injection there, it was right after an injection on the cheek side of my gums. My dentist, just prior, said something like "I'm sorry, you're not going to like me very much" so I was prepared for it to be very painful. But, I felt no pain at all -- honestly and truly. I am a huge needle phobe so I always anticipate injections being horrible. I think that, at least from my experience, when done well, injections in the roof of my mouth have not hurt.

Best of luck to you!

Re: Gum flap surgery next week. afraid of the shots and surgery. So Scared :((((

Hi from what I recall the injection in the roof of the mouth is 2 seconds of pressure and a tiny sharp pain, really nothing to worry about it will be over before you know if. Seriously. This is the biggest dentist coward our talking ☺️

I agree while the roof of the mouth is the icky-est it is usually the last they do. By then you are pretty well numbed. I usually feel a tiny pinch and some pressure. My biggest issue isn't the pain but the needle phobia. I actually brought my Mp3 player last time. They told me what they were going to do and I told them I was officially zoning out and if they needed me touch my shoulder. Put in the ear buds and closed my eyes. Never seeing the needle helped A LOT! Music and closing my eyes made it go bye so quickly! Maybe worth trying. Good luck! :XXLhug:

Try and think of it as just a little scratch. It works for me and I hate needles.....I think you are being very brave so try to focus on that and the needle bit is so quick.....then lovely numbness. I wish my teeth could be numb all the time.

Back