• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

gum graft help!

R

rg113066

Hello- I had my first gum graft back in July 2019. At the consult my perio mentioned I had oral lichen planus but I never knew that bc I had no active symptoms. I had a graft using donor graft tissue to cover 4 teeth in July. The graft took just fine. Then in Sept/Oct I started getting symptoms related to the oral lichen planus like my gums being really red (only on the upper and the graft was lower). I went to an oral pathologist for the lichen planus and she basically said its a condition I will just have to live with. Then in late Oct I started getting arthritis symptoms really bad- to the point where in the mornings I can barely walk until I get up and get going. I went to a rheumatologist who did confirm that I had a lot of inflammation in my body and that my symptoms are typically like arthritis. She prescribed a medication which is not helping. No I am wondering and worrying about whether the pains I have been having are related to maybe being allergic to the donor graft? My perio thinks I am crazy. The rhuemtolgist says it could be a possiblty. My perio says my second graft needs to be a donor tissue as well because we have to do another 4 teeth and he could not get enough of my own tissue. Does anyone else know if someone can be allergic to donor tissue? I am so scared because I can not do anything that will make this pain worse and I am afraid to have the second graft in Feb but it is so needed!

I don’t have any technical advice or insight, not a Perio, but I think you know your body better than anyone, and should trust your gut. Get a second opinion. And you definitely aren’t crazy.

Hi rg113066

I am right along with Dg6300 I think you should trust your gut and body, and even if it isn't what you think there is no harm investigating , validating your concerns and taking care of yourself by getting a second opinion.. You know your body like Dg6300 says and something is saying to pay attn to this and investigate.

Back