• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum Graft Question

M

mm33

I have genetically thin gum tissue with moderate bone loss. I have a 2mm receding gum on rotated tooth 24 with a frenum pull. I have known I needed a gum graft for the past 3 years. I had scheduled gum graft surgery with my periodontist but had cancelled because of jaw pain and fear. I initially assumed my perio was going to do a free gingival graft for all four lower incisors because we discussed getting braces. He said he was going to do only the middle two because I might not have enough gum tissue? When I questioned him that I see on the internet that four teeth are usually done, he told me not to look at the internet and that he has been practicing for 30 years.

I have gotten another two opinions and 2nd perio who is much younger said he could do all 4 with free gingival graft and can't understand why all 4 couldn't be done. He also knew who my perio was and said my perio was very reputable. Perio # 3 only uses alloderm and was going to do a connective for all 4. Are there any other reasons why my perio does not want to or can't do all 4 teeth? I don't want to have subsequent surgeries because the other teeth are going to eventually recede also.

I am also terrified of doing the graft and having it fail. For the past 3 years my lower jaw below the tongue area has been hurting on and off like something is being pulled? When this happens it also feels like my lower gums are being pulled especially the tooth with the frenum pull. My gums feel sore in between the teeth. This all started after a neck injury. I don't know If I am subconsciously doing this by clenching my lower jaw, lips? I have an open bite so my front teeth don't even touch but there is tension there. I mentioned this to my primary care and she said I should see an ENT or oral surgeon.

Caveat: I am not a dentist much a periodontist.

I have been through a gum graft, and it is pretty good!

I had very limited experience of "pain".

Long story short, were I given the choice, I'd choose another gum graft over getting a bad cold.

Getting a gum graft is probably more painful than stubbing one's toe, but not nearly as painful as an ingrown toenail.

As long as you follow the instructions afterwards, more or less, you should be okay. I did okay, and the graft took firmly.

I encourage you to get your gum graft at your earliest convenience, as it affords considerable peace of mind, knowing that everything is more firmly rooted to each other.

You got this.

After completing braces treatment, it was recommended I see a periodontist for 2 potential tooth that would need a gum graft. The perio said I only needed a graft for one of the tooth I was sent for. I could see not needing a graft as a reason to do a graft on all of the 4 teeth.

My graft went very easily. My mom had a graft a few weeks before me with the same perio and told me how easy it was and how quick it went. Even with her telling me that, I was surprised by how quick it went.

Thank you Dg6300 and geos for sharing your experience. I don't have dental insurance so I will be paying out pf pocket. My perio is very reasonable for $1600 for two teeth compared to the other periodontist. The second Perio quoted $4,700 for four teeth free gingival graft with my own tissue. This price includes a $400 stent to cover the open wound on the roof of mouth. The third perio who only uses alloderm quoted $6700 (OUCH!) for a connective tissue graft for four teeth plus another $300 for follow up. I am so afraid of the graft failing and I lose my money. I just wanted all four done and not have to worry about it. I was also contemplating eventually getting braces so I wanted my gums to be strong for that.

Very good.

This is a bit gross, but within a few days the graft becomes one with the gum. I could feel my heart beating/the graft throbbing (not in a bad way, more in a funny or weird or playfully unexpected way) by day four.

I said that to say this: the graft and gum become one very quickly. It sloughs off extraneous flesh at about one week. This is also painless and sort of funny in the moment.

In other words you body recognizes itself.

As long as you follow the instructions, more or less, it should take just fine.

Back