• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum graft

P

Pdrap

Hello,

in a couple weeks I am having guided tissue regeneration and connective tissue graft done, he is not using tissue from the roof of my mouth, I think he said something about l prf, I was just wondering if this is going to be painful or if I will be fine without iv sedation and if this is usually a successful type of treatment for recession? I’m not really sure what to expect and am pretty scared to have it done, he also is going the pinhole route, I just don’t see a lot of posts about it being done this way.

thank you

I’m no expert on such things but from understanding the pinhole technique is fairly minimally invasive and with much less post op discomfort than traditional grafting.

PRF is made by drawing blood and centrifuging it, it helps healing.

It does seem to be a pretty successful way of treating recession.

Thanks so much for the reply, I’m just really scared about it and the conscious iv sedation I’m just worried about how out of it amd safe it makes you cause I’ve never done it. But I feel like I’ll need something to calm my nerves.

Pdrap, is there anything particular that worries you about the conscious sedation?

Just worried about how sedated or out of control I’ll feel, and the safeness of even doing the sedation. I’ve only had anesthesia a couple of times and I’m pretty sure it was the same kind both times, I guess just scared of it being a new kind and any possible complications that could come with it, but also scared to have my gums stretched and played with without having anything at all.

Read our article on IV sedation which may help. It's much safer than general anaesthesia, in fact by one of those statistical anomalies, it's safer than just local anaesthetic.

Thank you, can I ask one more question... I think of the 3 teeth I need to do this on one is pretty bad like 7 mm recession he said and now I’m constantly thinking I’m gonna make it loose or fall out if I chew on that side, but after this procedure does it help to try and build or strengthen bone and will it keep me from losing a tooth hopefully? I just have never had a dental issue like this, he says it’s caused by tooth position? Kinda scared me when I’ve had pretty good checkups my whole life.

You're not going to make it loose or fall out from just chewing on it.

The procedure is planned to regrow your lost bone and put the tooth back into a healthy state.

Ok, thank you so much for answering my questions, it helps me
Understand it all better.

Back