• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

gum growth

L

legaka

Hi,

new here please pardon any 'faux paux' :)

I had a cavity which the dentist did a root canal on and filled with a temp because I was still having pain. He though it might be a fracture. Because of my fear (and cost) it was difficult to get back in and eventually the pain stopped when the fill loosened.

However, eventually it all came out leaving several jagged corners of tooth and a deep well in the middle. I have been careful to rinse and brush it well but recently it has started to fill in with a new gum growth .

I thought it might just be growing over like the wisdom teeth holes did- but this is redder and bleeds very easily. It is shinier and rounded.Not painful just a slight ache sometimes. I wake up sick because of swallowing blood sometimes . After I brush my teeth I am able to stop the bleeding by using a rinse my Dentist gave me to use after I had several teeth pulled (I ran out of $ before I got to this one), I cannot recall the name but it is sooo tasty! (not!) Greenish and I cannot eat or drink for 30 min after- water makes the taste worse.

So- is this possibly something I can live with? Mayhaps kind of normal like gums healing over pulled tooth sockets or is it some kind of terrible growth that will take over my face while I sleep?

I am petrified, have no ins or $ for treatment IF I could get myself in to see someone :(

Thank you for any hlep!

Legaka

Hi legaka, :welcome:

Gum often grows over the edges of an untreated cavity. As the whole area is impossible to clean completely, the gum tends to be inflammed and bleeds easily.
You do not have to worry about the growth taking over your face. It will remain localised to the broken tooth.
The problem with leaving the tooth untreated is that bugs may be able to work their way down the root canals and get the whole thing infected again.
It may be worth having a simple filling placed in the tooth to stabilise it. Then if the tooth has not become reinfected eventually have a crown.
Best of luck

Back