• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum infection still present

M

Meepmeep

Got diagnosed with a gum infection/abscess about 3 weeks ago and prescribed antibiotics. Seen the hygienist twice since then and had several rounds of xrays. 3 weeks in it still feels broadly the same - gum still very painful. Both dentist and hygienist say it'll take a while to clear up and may flare up again before it's gone.

It's taken me ages to find a dentist I'm comfortable with and now I have but this ongoing issue is ruining my confidence in them somewhat. I'm struggling to see why after antibiotics the infection would still be present.

Anyone any idea how long this is likely to take - I don't feel comfortable knowing there's a chronic infection going on in my mouth. I do have a degree of periodontal disease (which I appreciate makes things harder). I've also given up smoking in the last week too. Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Did you get a deep cleaning for the abscess? That's usually the treatment for gum abscess. Antibiotic cannot rid of the infection. The pocket where your abscess is present needs to be cleaned out.

Yes I've had one deep clean about 2 days after the antibiotics were prescribed. I was still smoking at the time.

Sorry Meepmeep, but it is impossible to say from your description alone. One would need to see you and your x-rays to comment. If I were you, I would ring the practice as let them know you are still having problems. As they are understanding, that should not be a problem. I appreciate that this situation is worrying and frustrating for you but don't lose confidence in your dentist. Diseases of the mouth are no different from the rest of your body and doctors can't always cure every infection in the body in three weeks.
Hope it settles soon.
Lincoln

Thanks Lincoln

I guess it is a case of being patient on this one and carrying on with the treatment. It was just freaking me out a bit that it was still ongoing.

Did you get a deep cleaning for the abscess? That's usually the treatment for gum abscess. Antibiotic cannot rid of the infection. The pocket where your abscess is present needs to be cleaned out.

I had a gum abcess and I was given antibiotics and it cleared up with no issues, maybe I was just lucky though? ?