• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum infection!

L

Lsp

Hi, I have avoided the dentist since having a tooth chipped by my orthodontist when I was a teenager. I plucked up the courage and my dentist is so lovely! I have had a really good set of treatments, my teeth are doing fine 🤞🏻 and my gums are getting better! But after a hygienist appointment I got a gum infection at Christmas, they cleaned it out and sent me on my way saying something was stuck in there from the hygienist appointment. I then had a follow up clean last month, this led to another gum pocket infection, they done X-rays and even though a have some bone loss the tooth is fine but I have a large pocket that is infected, which they said can happen after a clean. I was out on stronger antibiotics for a week and sent on my way.

My issues - I finished the antibiotics Thursday morning, gum is showing signs of improvement and isn’t hurting anymore but is still swollen compared to the rest and o have worked up this morning with a white spot on it. I am so worried about having to have intense treatment! Is this normal or do I need to hype myself up to go back?! It is making me wish I never started being brave in the first place tbh!

I am brushing twice a day, tepe flossing and salt water rinsing. I have just finished the antibiotics and the antibacterial gel.