• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum inflammation?

S

scaredycat20

Hello! I am 33-year old healthy woman with an extreme fear of the dentist. A few months ago, I had a horrible toothache that resulted in a root canal and crown. I have a temporary crown right now and go in for my permanent crown tomorrow. About a week ago, I started having some pain on the side that I have had a root canal on and have a temporary crown. My dentist was on vacation, but I was able to get in with another area dentist. He said he saw nothing wrong other than possibly cement or something stuck between my crown and gums. He removed whatever it was he saw. That was over a week ago. Yesterday, my gums on the inside of my teeth (not the cheek side) felt like I had burned the roof of my mouth. I tried to look with a mirror and the gums around the tooth in front of the crown look red. They are a tiny bit sore and seemed to get irritated if I eat anything salty of drink anything carbonated. I flossed and rinsed with mouth wash. I had my husband look and he said the gums are not swollen and there is no pimple like sore. He said the gums are just red. I am in complete freak-out mode. If I had an abcess, wouldn't things be getting worse instead of better?

Attachments

• IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 68
Looks like the gums are irritated- which can happen and usually doesn't lead to major issues (based on what I've dealt with). This can happen to me if I brush with too much force or a piece of food jabs the gum the wrong way. When that happens to me, I try to be very gentle when I brush in that area and I just try to leave it alone so it can heal. I also will sometimes skip brushing in that area and will instead use a q-tip dipped in mouth wash to gentle clean the area while it is healing. Or I will use Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse 2-4 times a day (love this product - any mouth sores or infections that I get, I just use this until it goes away).

Normally, for me it only lasts 2-4 days. Since you're having pain after eating salty snacks (which is normal if the gums are irritated or have some kind of minor infection), avoid that type of food or anything too hot.

Good luck to you! :XXLhug:

Hi Scardycat20,
Firstly let me commend whoever took the photo as it is a very clear shot of an area that is difficult to capture!
All I can say is, from the photo, it looks like you have an ulcer which should heal on it's own and be just fine.
Best of luck tomorrow.

Lincoln

Back