• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum issues after extraction

A

anniehd

Hi everyone. It is a relief to find others are as scared as i am of the dentist. My dentist is lovely and we have known her 10 years but i have fears which stem from childhood. /anyway I always have regular check ups as i take my kids as i want to promote good dental care with them. A couple of months ago i had a bottom molar extracted. It was causing pain and was already crowned. I was in pain for weeks afterwards and my gums got sore. I used Corsodyl and stepped up the hygiene with interdental brushes. For the last week the gum around the extraction site has been really sore and throbbing a little. i avoid eating on that side and really miss my morning musli and have a yoghurt instead. My husband has made me make an appointment to go back and see my dentist but i am really anxious. I don't want to lose another tooth. i am 52 not 90. My parents both had false teeth by the age of 40 and my auntie was gifted false teeth for her 21st. How times have changed!!

Hi anniehd:welcome:

well done on seeing your dentist regularly despite your fear. It's also great that you take your kids - you seem to be doing everything right! :)
I think getting the sore spot checked is the best idea and your dentist will surely be able to help. One thing I didn't understood right: you mentioned being really anxious and not wanting to lose another tooth, but it sounds like the gums that are bothering you are on the extraction site? Do you think that the problem is in reality another tooth?
In any case, more often then not, we make up all the worst case scenarios when it comes to dentistry, but things are rarely that bad. I would be ver surprised if you would lose another tooth as a result of sore gums..

Thanks for your reply. I saw my dentist yesterday and was grateful they squeezed me in at short notice. She was lovely and said it is always better to get something checked out if you are worried. It was more the gums around the extraction site that i was worried about. Before the extraction she had said that if I didn't have the tooth out she was worried that the infection might affect the other surrounding teeth. I then waited a month before I had the extraction so was concerned I hadn't acted quickly enough. In short my imagination had run riot! Anyway it turns out that the sore spot/lump is due to a bony protusion and that i need to be patient. In fact she said my teeth have never looked cleaner and i should continue doing what I am doing in that sense. I feel so relived but also a little silly for getting so anxious.

Back