• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum pain around second molar.

C

Cinkat84

Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice here. I’ve posted before as I have had some work done on my teeth. I’m a 36 year old female with 4 fully impacted wisdom teeth, full I. The gum. Due to my age my dentist is conservative about removal which I’m terrified to do anyway. I’ve had a nagging ache in my gum beside and behind my left second molar. He doesn’t see any inflammation or any pathology signs that point to it erupting. Its so achy though. I have been poking a lot at it which doesn’t help. Other then wisdom issues what else could this be?

Attachments

• 16E279E7-DA8E-4ECB-B47C-594D2AEC8CF6.png
    16E279E7-DA8E-4ECB-B47C-594D2AEC8CF6.png
    584.1 KB · Views: 19
Not sure if I didn't read properly but are you talking lower or upper?

Sorry yes it’s a lower molar. The left one on the bottom. The one on the right in the X-ray.

It would be worth getting a better x-ray done of the area, OPGs like that are good for a quick overview but they don't give fine detail. I would look at getting a periapical film taken which might give more information as to what's going on.

This was the more detailed one my dentist took.

Attachments

• E05F0687-66FC-4F03-8AD0-CC77EB4DB4DA.png
    E05F0687-66FC-4F03-8AD0-CC77EB4DB4DA.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Thanks. Looks totally normal so I think I'd put it down as the wisdom tooth being a bit grumbly. They can occasionally decide to try to erupt a bit more, or the gum over them can get a bit inflamed, poking it is a bad idea, if you irritate it too much it can swell a bit and then get chewed on by the back of the upper second molar. Which causes more swelling and so on...

Thanks. Looks totally normal so I think I'd put it down as the wisdom tooth being a bit grumbly. They can occasionally decide to try to erupt a bit more, or the gum over them can get a bit inflamed, poking it is a bad idea, if you irritate it too much it can swell a bit and then get chewed on by the back of the upper second molar. Which causes more swelling and so on...

Hmm ok thank you so much for your input Gordon. It has been about 2 weeks of the irritation. I've been poking at it which your right, isn't a good idea. Any advice as to what I should do?

You haven't said what you've tried so far? I'd start off with some warm salt water rinses, a small glass of slightly warmer than lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon of salt dissolved into it then "bubble" it around the sore area a few times a day. If you've already tried that, then a trip back to your dentist is probably next step.

I’ve tried salt water rinsing and oral irrigating. I’ve gone back to my dentist who just said to leave it be a bit so that is what I will do. Thank you for your advice!

Back