• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum pain for over a year

C

Ctaylor16

This year has been tough for me from a dental standpoint and my anxiety about it hasn’t made things any better. In January I had a root canal on tooth 14, an infection was shown on a cone beam scan. The tooth itself after was fine, however, I’ve had lingering pain/pressure/aching above the tooth in my gums on the outside of the tooth. The tooth already had a crown in place so it was recommended I redid the crown and do crown lengthening. I now have a temp crown on and the crown lengthening completed about two months ago. The pain in the gums has not been resolved and the pressure is really intense. I’ve gotten second opinions from a periodontist, dentist and endo and the only thing they can find is a missed canal from the previous endo but none of them believe it could be causing gum pain so high up.

in addition to this I have Trigeminal neuralgia and issues with inflammation overall in my body. I’m also in the process of fixing old work that was done when I was younger so my day to do day at this point is just managing nonstop nerve pain and inflammation all over my mouth. I’ve had numerous root canals, fillings and extractions done this year and I’m mentally exhausted.

So, is there anything that could be missed? Could it be sinuses or just a side effect from my neuralgia that isn’t settling because of all other ongoing work?

Thank you so much.

It doesn't sound likely that anything has been missed, it seems that you've had every possible investigation done by enough different professionals to have covered all the plausible scenarios.

"The tooth itself after was fine, however, I’ve had lingering pain/pressure/aching above the tooth in my gums on the outside of the tooth"
I suffer from this too in more than one tooth on top row of teeth and when I asked my dentist what it was he said "referred pain" from somewhere else. That was all he would tell me. I went to A and E once with it it was so bad and never got any further on as to the cause there. I have never gotten to the bottom of it. I think I read recently that sinus polyps can cause pain in teeth and gums. Sometimes the pain is really bad. I would love to now what causes it myself. I never had it until I had two implants and wonder if it is because of them or the way they were fitted.

"The tooth itself after was fine, however, I’ve had lingering pain/pressure/aching above the tooth in my gums on the outside of the tooth"
I suffer from this too in more than one tooth on top row of teeth and when I asked my dentist what it was he said "referred pain" from somewhere else. That was all he would tell me. I went to A and E once with it it was so bad and never got any further on as to the cause there. I have never gotten to the bottom of it. I think I read recently that sinus polyps can cause pain in teeth and gums. Sometimes the pain is really bad. I would love to now what causes it myself. I never had it until I had two implants and wonder if it is because of them or the way they were fitted.
This is interesting because I had an implant put in for my front tooth in February and it has caused pain in the gums behind my implant crown ever since. I have been told that the implant is fine. The gums swell occasionally but mostly just are pressure sensitive or hurt between the implant and the tooth next to it.
I was diagnosed with atypical facial pain and had an MRI. That showed I have a sinus polyp cyst but no one has ever said it could cause the pain. My new doctor even said it was irrelevant.

Back