• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum Problems

N

nikkispencer

Hello, i'm so glad I found this forum! I was starting to feel like I was the only person in my situation. I'm 22 years old and all my life i've been terrified of dentist, when I was very young I went dentist who asked me how I allowed my teeth to get in such bad condition when all I needed was a filling, so since then had to much anixety to return. alongside that i've always had an awful phobia of needles which makes my dental phobia ten times worst. Recently every morning I wake up to bleeding gums, its affecting my job and social life as I constantly need to keep checking my teeth, when friends arrange days out, I always have to rush home to brush my teeth - I dont feel 22 at all, I have avoided relationships because i'm scared when the inevitable does happen and I do lose my teeth that no guy will want to know me. Its affecting my life so much, I work full time yet I constantly feel tired and drained because I spend so much time worrying about how long I have left with my teeth. already the gum is reccedding quite rapidly and teeth feel really loose. It terrifys me. Alongside that, the cost of the dentist dont help, spending an entire months salary just for a check up. Basically everything about the dentist scares me but at the same time I just want a normal life. Help?

14199_525859557546119_431393641742792340_n.jpg
a recent photo of my teeth/gums.

Hi,

It sounds you are very distressed from the gums issue. Let assure you, given your young age, your problem can be fixed and reversed to completely healthy gums.
The gums in your photo do seem to be inflmaaed. How about going to an oral hygienist (or even better: a school for oral hygienists) and ask just for cleaning, without a check up. If they insist on a check-up, ask to spare the X-rays (even though I do recommend having a proper check-up with X-rays).

Hi,

It sounds you are very distressed from the gums issue. Let assure you, given your young age, your problem can be fixed and reversed to completely healthy gums.
The gums in your photo do seem to be inflmaaed. How about going to an oral hygienist (or even better: a school for oral hygienists) and ask just for cleaning, without a check up. If they insist on a check-up, ask to spare the X-rays (even though I do recommend having a proper check-up with X-rays).

Thank you for the advice, would a oral hygenist still be willing to clean them despite me having the bleeding gums? I think that would put my mind at ease as it would slowly ease me into getting my dental phobia overcome. x

would a oral hygenist still be willing to clean them despite me having the bleeding gums?
That's the purpose of the oral Hygienist's job.
The bleeding is a sign of gum inflammation (gingivitis) and the OH will make sure your gums are healthy again.

Back