• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum recession around wisdom tooth

J

Js12

Hi there. I'm new to these forums. Just want to explain what's going on because I'm terrified really. Its got to a point where every night I dream that my teeth fall out. Its horrible.

My teeth are a mess. All of my back ones pretty much have fillings, the fillings are black and I'm guessing it's what kind of material they used when I was younger. I have 1 missing lateral incisor. And the worst part of it, I'm 23 years old. I take care if my teeth regular by brushing 2 times a day and flossing (not every night) but they're still a mess.

I have all my wisdom teeth, but the gum around the back right of my wisdom tooth is receding where its showing the root or bone. Because of this I'm absolutely petrified. I have no insurance, but I'll have to pay without pocket but I'm literally scared.

Has anyone experienced this around the wisdom tooth? Because I feel like I'm the only one. I know I need to go to the dentist, but im so worried about being humiliated about my teeth.

Thank you for your time

Js12,

Although I have not experienced this gum recession around wisdom teeth, did want to welcome you to the forum and you are in the right place for great support! Sounds like you are really doing a good job taking care of things and moving on despite your fear, that takes a lot of strength! HOpe someone can answer your specific concerns.

You are not alone in feeling embarrassed about your teeth but please know that the dentist or staff should not make you feel bad about your teeth. There are also quite a few people that post here in their teens and early 20's so its not usual to need treatment of some kind at that age. People just aren't always open to talking about it publicly.

Guessing your wisdom tooth is not impacted? I have some recession around my molars but its because the wisdom teeth right next to them are impacted and creating a gap. Hope they can give you some reassurance and guidance about what to do when you make your appointment.

Hi Js12,

Having fillings is nothing bad, the most people have some fillings on their back teeth. Sounds like you are having amalgam fillings which look silver/black. They are not bad, they actually very often last even longer than white ones, but of course do not look too nice.

Is there, besides your wisdom teeth anything particular that makes you feel like your teeth a mess?

While I can‘t answer your question about receded gums around your wisdom teeth, I can only second Sol and encourage you to look for a kind caring dentist who could take a look. Nobody should make you feel humiliated for your teeth, on the contrary: dentists are here to help. If you take a look around here in the forum, you will find plenty of information about how to find a nice dentist and get in touch. Receded gums can have many causes and it doesn‘t have to be something bad. Btw. Many people have som kind of gum recession (me included) so you definitely aren‘t the only one.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back