• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Gum recession is terrifying me and causing severe stress!!

U

UKVanilla24

Hi all! I hope you're all keeping well and safe!

I'm a 24 male and struggling massively with my persistent gum recession. I will try to keep this as short as I can so people read.

I've been dealing with this since I was about 20, before this I've never missed a dentist appointment and have been every 6 months as requested, always brushed and flossed as much as possible and always made sure to have any treatments (only fillings/cleanings) done immediately if recommended to try and avoid any issues. I've honestly had zero issues with my teeth except for a filling here and there.

I noticed one tooth starting to look a little longer when I was around 20 and some bleeding, freaked out, and then went to the dentist who told me all was absolutely fine and to keep brushing and flossing as normal.

I did and things proceeded to get worse and worse, I switched dentists about 8 months later, went for a checkup and was told the same "all good, continue to brush and floss".

I decided to stop worrying as this was the second dentist telling me all was fine, I didn't really think about it for about a year and a half while continuing to keep up my dental routine.

I started noticing at this point my gums overall looking "thinner" and more sucked in between some teeth and a good few teeth were starting to look longer than normal. I once again freaked out and went to a periodontist who told me there was "mild recession, but nothing to worry about, don't let it become an issue for you or think on it".

That calmed me down, but things have since only gotten worse. I'm now a further 2 years down the line and I'm now disgusted by my smile. I don't intend to place blame, but I do feel slightly let down by my dentists. Who I feel didn't take my worry seriously enough.

I'm now at a stage where my smile just looks odd, everything seems "toothy" and out of place, I have (admittedly still small but yet still visible) black triangles between a lot of teeth now and a lot of teeth are looking longer.

I last went to my dentist about 8 months ago who told me the recession was minimal and not to let it worry me, I was meant to go 2 months ago for another check-up but COVID happened. I left frustrated, as I felt no matter how much of a fuss I kicked up I was essentially told there was nothing to worry about despite the fact it has been worrying me consistently for about 2 years now.

I'm now in a place where I don't know what to do anymore, I hate my smile now and am now very self-conscious of it.

I find solace occasionally by thinking/convincing myself it can be fixed, but my dentists are honestly not very helpful at explaining options and the info on the web is so conflicting and confusing. So I often end up deflated and feeling like a complete failure.

In the grand scheme of things my recession is still minor, however, it is making me very down and very, very stressed out on an almost constant basis now. I feel considering my age too it's even more embarrassing and odd to be dealing with this as most searches return the result "This is most common in those aged 40+" .

Is there any hope?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi UKVanilla24,

sorry to read about your experience. I would feel let down by dentists too if I had a gum recession that is getting worse and no explanations or ideas instead of "nothing to worry about".

I see that your recession obviously is nothing to worry about according to your dentists, but was wondering whether any of them gave you ideas about what might have caused it. There are few causes of gum recession that you can eliminate by yourself - such as brushing too hard or grinding teeth at night. I have quite of a recession around few teeth and those two are my suspects, so brushing gently, flossing carefully and wearing a night guard helped.

The first thing I wished for you in this situation would be a dentist who takes time to analyse things with you and offers you some explanation about what can be done to prevent things from getting worse. Is there any chance to try out another practice to get those answers?

All the best wishes

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, what you're describing is quite common in younger people as well, not just people over 40. A lot of it depends on genetics and how thin the tissues are. As your dentists and periodontist said, there usually isn't much that can be done about it (just like wonky knees or similar things that we may not like about ourselves, but that are harmless). There are some things which can cause gum recession in younger people other than genetics (such as overzealous brushing or grinding teeth, as Enarete already mentioned), but you may have already discussed these with your dentist/s?

I suppose the only other thing you could do at this stage is get a second periodontist's opinion, write down the questions you want answered beforehand, explain to them exactly how you feel, and see what they suggest. A good question to ask is "what would you do if you were my age and if it was your mouth?".

On a more positive note, I'm almost certain that the problem is much more obvious to you than it is to anyone else!

B

badanxiety

I am also struggling with gum recession and I am only 19. I think you shouldn’t worry if you keep up your good flossing routine. I am so jealous that your dentists confirmed that your gums are fine. I am so worried and anxious that I have or will have gum disease that I have trouble concentrating. I totally relate to feeling embarrassment because it’s supposed to be rare for young people.