• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Gum recession

L

LizE32386

I have 2mm gum recession on teeth 4 and 5 and 1mm recession on some other teeth. My question is can I wait to have gum graft surgery or will I cause more damage? I of course do not want to loose any teeth. I do not have gum disease and my recession has been stable for years. I was an aggressive brusher and I grind my teeth at night. Just recently I have purchased a sonic care tooth brush and a night gaurd. Just hoping I can hold out a while longer on the need for surgery as anything surgical gives me anxiety.

Attachments

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Assuming you've addressed the cause of the problem, then it won't get any worse, you're not going to lose any teeth over it. I wouldn't consider surgery for that level of recession.

L

LizE32386

Thank you so much for the reply you have made me feel so much better. I’ve been dwelling on this for months.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sorry, that's a very wide question. Best answer is it varies depending on which teeth are affected, background of the patient (age, previous history etc etc) and causes of the recession.

L

LizE32386

I am 35 years old. Is that level of gum recession bad for my age?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
L

LizE32386

The dentist didn’t seem as considered with this tooth in the picture but it seems longer then the 2mm recession on my upper pre molars. Could someone reassure me that it’s no more then 2mm as I do not want to undergo grafting any time soon.

Attachments

M

MadMaxNightRider

I only wish my teeth looked that good. You have some nice teeth Liz. Be grateful that you have good genes for teeth. I have taken care of mine but have gotten screwed because of my genetics. My Dad brushes his teeth like once a week & rarely has any Cavities & I brush mine after each meal & floss & always have several cavities every time I go to my Dentist.

L

LizE32386

My twin sister is the same way and never gets a cavity. I haven’t in awhile but I get them from time to time abd do everything right. She doesn’t floss or anything.

L

LizE32386

The dentist didn’t seem as considered with this tooth in the picture but it seems longer then the 2mm recession on my upper pre molars. Could someone reassure me that it’s no more then 2mm as I do not want to undergo grafting any time soon.

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Photo's a bit blurry but I wouldn't consider grafting that one either.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I wouldn't graft that. It's really not that bad at all.

L

LizE32386

Thank you! My dentist seemed concerned but I also got the feeling they were pushing me to do it because of money. I certainly don’t want to go through something like that for no reason. But also don’t want to lose my teeth. Thank you again!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Pretty much the same level as the other teeth. Still wouldn't graft it myself.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Too out of focus to tell, sorry.