• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum regrowth possible after deep clean?

B

Beamish

Hi all,

After suffering panic attacks and not being able to bring myself to go to a dentist for years, I had red swollen gums due to a huge amount of tartar build up. After a divorce I met someone new and wanted to get rid of the tartar and the red gums and have fresh breath and a healthy smile again. So I went to the dentist and she scared me into visiting the hygienist. After 3 sessions of deep cleaning and regular cleanings for a few months I had pink healthy gums. However along the top of my gumline I have had some bone loss and so my gums have shrunk a bit. I have some black triangles - gaps where my gums used to be. I was wondering if there is any procedure that could fix this? And could it be done on the NHS? It does make me a bit self concious and I think it makes me look a bit older.

Thanks and best regards,

Beamish

The inflammation is reduced so your gums are not as swollen therefore you have space as you have less bone to support the gums. This is irreversible.

sorry Beamish, as comfort dentist says the gum shrinkage is irreversible.
It's important that you maintain your new gum health to prevent the problem getting worse.
Sometimes it is possible to modify the front teeth to reduce the impact of the black triangles with fillings or veneers but it's quite difficult to do well and obviously mustn't compromise the cleaning otherwise you'll get the gum disease back!
The other possibility, if you really hate the black triangles is to make a gingival veneer' which is a removable artificial gum that closes the gaps.
Can't imagine you'll get either solution on the NHS I'm afraid as they're cosmetic procedures.

I was wondering - I've seen some articles on using dermal fillers (botox-type stuff) to improve aesthetics by plumping up the spaces between black triangles - is this something that is tried and tested, or is this in the experimental stages? Are there any disadvantages or risks associated with this procedure?

Back