• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gums healing "tight" after surgery (in one spot)?

M

MountainMama

Okay, the best way I can describe this is that it feels like the gums healed with not enough "stretch" after my apico. It is right in the front, and I am still dealing with unusual numbness in the gums as well. Right where the edge of the gum flap was, up near the crease where my gums meet my top lip, there is a small knot. Any time I attempt to move my lip (eating, smiling, talking), it pulls and feels like the gums are pinching all the way from my gums in between my teeth to that little knot. It is very uncomfortable and annoyingly painful. It is like the skin/gums now has a fold in it and is too short to stretch properly.

Will this stretch out over time (I am almost two weeks post surgery)? Or am I stuck with this?

I was at the endo today for a host of other issues such as the numbness, pain behind the tooth, and nerves pulsing, so that question got lost in the shuffle.

Sorry...I am a mess right now emotionally, am terrified that I just messed up my mouth even more by having this surgery. I don't know why I can't just have one successful procedure. It is like my body is working against me.

It's very early on in the healing process, so it will improve, might not seem like it now though :(

You've probably got a little bit of scarring going on, this is less elastic than normal tissue so would fit in with what you're feeling. It should improve as the healing goes on.

It's very early on in the healing process, so it will improve, might not seem like it now though :(

You've probably got a little bit of scarring going on, this is less elastic than normal tissue so would fit in with what you're feeling. It should improve as the healing goes on.

Thank you so much Gordon! That makes me feel much better. I am feeling adrift right now with all this work done by different people, and a new dentist. I did schedule a consult appointment with my new dentist, to prioritize what needs to be done, so I feel more in control.

Back