• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Guys and St Thomas, London

M

munkeyboi

Hey guys,

Most of my dental treatment has been carried out at Guys & St Thomas in London Bridge.

It is a teaching hospital and has at least 3 floors dedicated to dentistry, maybe 4.

Floor 26 is Sedation and special care. They offer IV, GA and NOS
They are for patients with extreme phobias, or other issues such as bad gag reflex, disabled people or others with conditions that are unable to hold still or open their mouth. Such as spasms, fitting and cerebral palsy

I do believe there is a walk in emergency dentist there too that you can attend without appointment, but not sure how much they would cater for phobic patients.

As far as I'm aware they don't do private work, just NHS.

I was refereed there many years ago by my doctor. I've gone back to my doctor and asked to be re-refereed again, and they saw me again. So for the sedation and special care, you will need a referral from your doc. so just ask them.

They don't offer full treatment plans, but some services.

It is very f**king scary at first. Especially if you are phobic. Instead of a room with one chair, they had a room with like 20 chairs. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

That was horrible!!!!

Also waits for appointments can take a while.

But they have got private treatment rooms too, which I've generally been in. The staff are nice and understanding too.
Watched me cry my eyes out every visit and watched me beg to go home and still got me through it ok.

Its in a hospital too, not a dental surgery, although same equipment in there. I can kinda fool myself into thinking "I'm going to the hospital to have my teeth looked at" not "I'm going to the dentist, eeeeeeeeeeeeek"

Thought this might help some,

good luck

Link if it helps

Hey guys,

Most of my dental treatment has been carried out at Guys & St Thomas in London Bridge.

It is a teaching hospital and has at least 3 floors dedicated to dentistry, maybe 4.

Floor 26 is Sedation and special care.

Ah, the good old Guys Tower !

Of course if the lifts aren't working you won't need sedation when you get up there. Resuscitation maybe, but not sedation. :ROFLMAO:

John

Ah, the good old Guys Tower !

Of course if the lifts aren't working you won't need sedation when you get up there. Resuscitation maybe, but not sedation. :ROFLMAO:

John

LOL

never had to take the stairs..... yet. Think the day the lift is down is the day I reschedule.

Amazing view from the tower too, but I've generally been too upset to care.

Forgot to mention on previous post, it is a teaching hospital (That I mentioned)

So do expect a student or two to examine you, and be present when you have work done, even do some of the work.

But they are always fully supervised and their work checked.

Parking is a nightmare there as well.

Back