• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had a filling replaced in top molar..now have pain top and bottom!

S

StillMedusa

Two weeks ago I had a filling replaced as it was disintegrating and the tooth was a bit sensitive. Took diazapam and all my guts to get me in the chair as I am severely phobic of the sound of the drill..Filling seemed fine, but the next day I had horrible pain when I bit down on food..in the bottom tooth below that meets it.
I gave it a day or two but it became more sensitive..didn't like hot or cold either and I couldn't tell whether the pain was in the top, bottom or both.

Went back and my dentist filed down the filling a little although it didn't look high.

Anyway another week on..can't chew anything but very soft food and hot or cold (especially cold) stuff sends pain ALL along the nerve.It FEELS like the bottom tooth not the top..but it was fine before the top was filled. I am mainlining painkillers :(

What do I do? Should I give it another week or so to see if it settles? Could it be a coincidence and my bottom tooth just happens to have conked the day my top was filled? I am in a lot of discomfort :(

A couple of different things come to mind for me...

Most likely: Your filling is still a little high and is hitting on that bottom tooth too hard and irritating the nerve. Have your dentist take a look at your bite one more time. This time when they have you bite on the paper, bite as hard as you can, up and down several times. Then bite down again and grind your teeth in every possible direction that they can go. Sometimes the bite can look good when you bite up and down but can be hitting funny when you're chewing in a different direction.

Less likely: If the filling you had replaced was really large, you might be having pain in the tooth that was worked on that is being referred to the tooth below it. This is more likely if the pain you're having is waking you at night, hurting all on it's own, or hurting for more than a couple of minutes after hot/cold.

Least likely: Your bottom tooth developed a problem at the exact same time as you had the other one worked on.

Back