• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had a minor filling done- I highly recommend topical numbing foam and laser dentistry!

T

TizzyLizzy

Had a minor filling done- I highly recommend topical numbing foam and laser dentistry!

I have had intense dental fears since I was a child. I have had fillings and one root canal on a tooth I knocked loose years ago in a sledding accident (long story!) My mom was a dental assistant and says my procedure went fine but I am traumatized by ANY dental work other than a cleaning! I have had wisdom teeth removed and one crown done under IV sedation. It was fine but expensive- I have been trying to find a way to manage getting a filling without IV sedation. While I am far from "cured" I will say what helped me the most was having a patient, understanding dentist that took the time to answer all my neurotic questions like what percentage of tooth will be filled, what is size of filling millimeters, how long will drilling take? The other items that helped was the numbing foam the dentist used before the injection- I serious barely felt the shot! Laser dentistry is also a big help to people like me who can't stand the drill. He still has to use a high speed hand piece to get through the enamel but then switched to a laser to clean out the cavity- no slow speed vibrating rumbling drill! You do not feel any vibration from the laser- and you only hear a clicking sound. I also used heavy duty headphones, Valium and some zzquil to ease anxiety before taking Valium.

The only thing I would change is to ask for more Valium next time because Although I was not anxious, I was still coherent and I rather be semi unconscious! Good luck to everyone on this forum, remember you are not alone and you are not crazy- do your research and hopefully you can make your dental experiences manageable!

Last edited:
Re: Had a minor filling done- I highly recommend topical numbing foam and laser dentistry!

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all of your experience and offering encouragement to those of us that need it :whirl::yayy::perfect::butterfly:

Back