• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had all my teeth crowned in one day

E

Envirochick12887

I’m 30 years old and have always had the best dental care, but because I didn’t take the best care of my teeth when I had braces, and having the genes of not so great teeth, I somehow ended up here. I tried everything but after I got my first crown about 4 years ago, I ended up having to get three more right after that. Due to a stressful situation I had ended up grinding my teeth down where I had lost my bite and ended up having a sore jaw. After talking to several dentists and trying to find the right one. I ended up with someone I can honestly say I trust. Because my bite was so off, I had to get braces, so for just about 2 years I had braces. Which was just slow torture. And one week ago from tomorrow, I had all my teeth crowned. I had no other option than to do something like this. As I’ve explored them all!

It took me years to get over so many emotions, feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I failed, just the feeling of being alone with this burden of having to pay and deal with my teeth. Currently all those emotions have risen back to the surface and I’m trying to be more positive and think of how lucky I am to be able to deal with thus. By my anxiety is high and my jaw is oh so sore! My teeth were/are a bit sensitive but I’m able to eat soft stuff. As long as I remain on Advil I’ve been doing good. But I have to keep reminding myself it’s normal to have a sore jaw, as all my teeth were altered and I was in the dentist chair for 8 hours. I’m praying someone will respond with some sort of similar story on how they feel about teeth issues. Thoughts/feeling? Any one had a similar thing happen?

All of my molars are crowned and mostly root canaled. I'm about to start the process for my front teeth to be crowned, some already have root canals and some do not yet. This will result in having all crowns in my mouth and I'm extremely anxious about it.
Did you need root canals before the crowns? It sounds like your bite may be off or you've been clenching. What do you think about those ideas? Are they possibilities?

Hey, so no root canals needed. I am finding myself clench though and really can’t wait for my permanent crowns to be in place so I can get my night guard in. I had to really mentally prepare myself to sit in the chair for 8 hours to get all my teeth crowned. But i know I did the right thing And I believe you are too. What are you most anxious about? I was most afraid i wouldn’t be able to eat. But I can eat soft stuff and am not starving by any means.

Thanks. I am most anxious about not being able to eat or something going wrong that I end up needing extractions. Long term I'm most anxious about them not lasting and I'll end up with implants.

I was so scared about not being able to eat, but think ahead of time of all the soft foods you can eat! There really are a ton of them. Anything super soft and cooked is good. My jaw was and still is sore but just have been needing Advil and it’s been fine. My teeth are still slightly sensitive but that’s typical with temps. Also, to get them to last I’ll just need to take care of them. They should be very maintainable for a lot of our lives. Some say crowns last 20+ years. As long as you take care of them you should be ok. One day at a time! I’m only 30 so i figure I’ll need to re crown at some point but it all at once ever.

Thank you! When do you get your permanent crowns?

Once we like how they function they are going to start permanents. I can’t wait until it’s all done!

Any chance you would be willing to share a picture?

Of my temps and perms? I certainly can. This has been such a huge change, so I hope this also helps someone somewhere!

Yes! I think you can insert an image right here in a post. I would really appreciate it!

Here is a picture of my temporary crowns. The front are a little thicker than I would like but they make them thicker for temps so they are less likely to break. I can’t wait to get my final ones! The best part is having contact in the backs of my teeth. My jaw is still sore though because I keep going back for impressions and what not. But it’s starting to get better slowly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 102
Glad to read that things are getting better for you :) How did your interview go?

Interview went fantastic! Thanks for asking! I really hope I get it. I just woke up this morning though and the front temps popped out again :/ super frustrating!

ALL of those are crowns!? I would have never guessed!!! They look great!!

Thanks! He did a great job! The front piece has become un glued a few times. Which is really making me nervous! I’m traveling to Arizona in 2 weeks and they said my permanent ones won’t be ready before the trip. Im being super anxious in general though about this whole thing and am just praying I get to the next step soon so I don’t have to worry about the front popping out again. They are doing them in stages so I’m getting the front 6 and bottom 6 permanents first then on to a side, then the other. My goal is to be done by Christmas. I’m not sure it will all be done by then, but one can always hope right!

Are the temps connected? You said the front piece keeps falling out. How is eating?

The front too 6 are one unit and then on either side is a unit of 3. The front top is what fell out twice. Eating isn’t too bad but I think I’ve been getting so used to the temps that I over chewed on the top left hand side and that caused the unit in the front to get wobbly. The good thing is I had a little warning to when they were going to fall off, you can kinda feel them moving around. I can still eat most things, just super careful and have been cutting stuff up super tiny.

I'm new here just found this forum. I have a long story why and when and how I got here but for now just a recent story that I can relate. I just had 6 (one piece) temps put in recently up top and my temporary lasted about 13 days which fell out when I was sleeping of course it was the day before I left for a work conference 9 hours away driving and all paid so couldn't cancel. Long story short used some temporary cement from a pharmacy and it helped but then night 2 same thing. Long story short I have my temporary permanents (Dr story) in as she was concerned about more changes in my mouth due to healing and after she does the bottoms roughly the same way on the 26th of next month she wants to revisit the tops if need be. Either way I asked if she will use stronger cement and she did but the feeling is still weird and I'm beyond paranoid to eat for instance a Grinder due to the bread, etc. Its been about 1 1/2 weeks with it in but by the 2nd day I had started using a night guard (unfitted just to put a cushion between my teeth) as the Dentist agreed I'm probably grinding or smashing my teeth while I sleep and that is why the temporary fell out always at night. Of course I drool like I have a problem with the night guard and it sucks but ehhh.... So anyways I can relate to some of your fun especially if I gave my back story but. I am turning 41 next month and this was a decision that had to be made as the previous Dentists (I went to a few for opinions, cost, etc.) suggested Dentures, etc. but one thing they don't tell you is that if you have a gagging problem you won't be able to do Full Dentures! I even had to cut down on the night guard so I wouldn't choke! :giggle:

Last edited:
Ugh, i feel your pain! It’s agonizing! I honestly at this moment too, have the worst pain on one side, the dentist is away so I called our friend who does root canals and she’s got me on an antibiotic and Tylenol with codine. at this point I’ll do anything to make the pain go away! When you had an abcess on your teeth, did you get root canals for them? How did that go? Is it painful? I’m literally just crying on and off, partly because I’ve been up most of the night not able to sleep and partly because I’m just nervous to what’s going to happen. What are some of the things you did to get through it?

Oh and cut everything up with temps! And my tops keep falling out because I think I grind too. It’s obviously not helping at all. A night guard is a great idea!

Back