• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

had infection//awaiting rct..think I have another infection on the way

J

Judenmink

Hi,
I had a horrible infection that built up over 4/5 days before I went to the dentist in excruciating pain..and v. scared. He gave me anitbiotics... 21 days of 500mg. He told me I needed rct and maybe an apiectomy. He has referred me to have this done under IV sedation as I am so scared but the appointment will be weeks if not months away.
I have finished the antibiotics over a week ago and already I feel that slight swelling of the tissues and slightly 'itchy' feel to the gum that I had before it turned into dreadful pain last time.
What I need to know is should I get to the dentist asap again for more a/bs? or is there any chance this might just be a minor reaction to the problem and will not go the same way? I am a self employed dog groomer single parent and cannot afford to have cancel appointments at the last minute when it turns into savage throbbing pain. If I could get a/b's now before it gets bad it will save me missing work. What if I continually keep getting infections? Apparently the waiting list for nhs rct would take me up to Feb although I was told I could keep ringing for cancellations. I am so worried.

Hi

To be sure, go see the dentist and possibly get another course of antibiotics. Can you go to CDS as an option? This could fall within what they do.

Infections tend to stay localized but getting this fixed is in your best interest.

Blessings :)

Sorry to sound so ignorant but what is CDS? Is that a US thing? I am British.
I will go back to dentist Monday and see if he will give me more antibiotics. I hope so :(
Surely I wont have infection after infection for the months I have to wait for my treatment?

CDS is Community Dental Service. It is part of the British Healthcare System. I think they deal with emergency cases and the like. I live in the USA and do not know a lot about the British system. I think you can go there without a referral, but am not certain.

CDS is Community Dental Service. It is part of the British Healthcare System. I think they deal with emergency cases and the like. I live in the USA and do not know a lot about the British system. I think you can go there without a referral, but am not certain.

Not quite they deal with people with special needs e.g. learning diabilities etc which can include phobics in some areas of the country.

I think you have to ask yourself, do you want to wait on a sedation list for your treatment (surely keep phoning for cancellations even if you then have to cancel a client at short notice), your dentist will keep giving you antibiotics to keep infection under control but do you want this or would you rather try the treatment without sedation (you could get oral sedation from your GP to help) immediately with your dentist?
Your only other option if not willing to try with own dentist with a dose of say valium from your GP is to pay and go privately either to a private dentist who does sedation or to an endodontist(root canal specilaist) who does sedation.
Do you really need i/v sedation as opposed to oral sedation and therefore would it not be better to try to get it treated sooner rather than later?

Obviously the gold standard of care is to damp down the infection, then immediately treat the tooth. You are denying yourself this by insisting on the NHS sedation arrangement which is a recent arrangement - it wasn't long ago that the only option was a hospital referral for GA with a waiting list unless you were prioritised. Maybe you have a case to be prioritised now - keep returning to your dentist as necessary as only they can do this probably and you are entitled to immediate treatment for relief of pain. If you can travel you could see if another area's NHS sedation clinic has shorter waiting times?
Best wishes and good luck :grouphug:

Thankyou Brit. I think you have told me what I knew really. If I want sedation (which is the only way I can deal with this) I am going to have to wait and deal with infections as they come along. I have had two rct in the dentists chair and it totally freaked me out. I shall just have to hope I can get a cancellation fairly soon.

Thankyou Brit. I think you have told me what I knew really. If I want sedation (which is the only way I can deal with this) I am going to have to wait and deal with infections as they come along. I have had two rct in the dentists chair and it totally freaked me out. I shall just have to hope I can get a cancellation fairly soon.

If you make yourself readily available at short notice, I would think you'd be in luck since they are dealing with phobics they must get some cancellations and also on run of the mill grounds of illness as well. Make sure they have your mobile number and always have it charged and on you.

What freaked you out about the other two experiences? Oral sedation works very well for some people - maybe you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand?

Last edited:
I did ask my dentist if he could offer me any sort of sedation at his surgery and he said no. Is an oral sedation something I would have to ask my GP for?

Your dentist or your GP can prescribe it. Some dentists prefer GPs to do it. You have to tell the dentist what you have taken obviously.

Back