• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had my first crown appointment - WHAT was that taste?!

GeekMonster

GeekMonster

So I had my first (and hopefully only) crown procedure today. I don't want to rant about the procedure itself, I just have a question, and I cannot find an answer anywhere online.

While the hygienist was prepping the tooth for the temporary crown, she put something like floss or thread around it. I had read that this is done to push back the gum line slightly so the crown will fit snugly. But whatever that stuff was, it tasted HORRIBLE. She warned me ahead of time, but oh my gosh, it was absolutely vile, it tasted like puke or bile! I almost gagged on it.

WHAT was that taste and why did it happen? Is it some kind of substance or chemical used in prepping the tooth??

It'll be a haemostat agent to stop gum bleeding. Usually it's well impregnated into the retraction cord so you don't get to taste it. She must have been very generous with her usage!

Ohhhh. Thank you for the information! She must have, dear God, it was horrible, running down my throat and everything. I had to make her stop and rinse a few times and she kept apologizing lol. Maybe I'm a heavy bleeder? LOL

I doubt if you're bleeding that much, but her boss is going to be asking some questions later, that stuff is NOT cheap :)

Back