• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had my lower, right, second to last molar removed and now dealing with extreme anxiety

E

Erin626

Had my lower, right, second to last molar removed and now dealing with extreme anxiety

Tomorrow it will be 10 days since having my molar removed. It was a difficult extraction and my dentist gave me stitches and a note for some time off work right afterwards. The first couple days were agony but then things slowly started getting better. I managed to eat some breadsticks and French fries 6 days after the extraction. Then I had my stitches out on the 7th day. I was told it wouldn't hurt but it did and I still have pains...not severe but annoying.
My dentist said my extraction is "healing beautifully" but my anxiety has me convinced something is seriously wrong. I cry everyday and obsess over what the extraction site looks like. I feel like I'm starving to death because I barely eat for fear of being in pain or causing problems in the hole from the extraction. I had to leave work early again today because of my anxiety. My fiancé and mom think I'm causing myself the pains I'm feeling because I get so upset and worked up over every little thing.
I very gently rinse with salt water after everything I eat and drink and I've seriously cut back on my smoking but also rinse after every cigarette. I have sharp pains in my ear and extraction site that are scaring me the most now...they aren't constant and they just come and go. My gums around the extraction are pink and I have some white tissue in the hole...no noticeable swelling, no fever, no foul taste or smell. Does this all sound standard for being just about 10 days past extraction? Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of horrible anxiety over dental procedures? It's starting to ruin my life ?

Re: Had my lower, right, second to last molar removed and now dealing with extreme anxiety

From what you describe everything sounds perfectly normal.

At 10 days post extraction the risk of any complications such as a dry socket, infection, etc are just about zero. Hope that eases your mind a bit.

Re: Had my lower, right, second to last molar removed and now dealing with extreme anxiety

It does help. Thank you! My biggest concern has been my ear pain but I'm thinking it's unrelated to my extraction even though it's on the same side. I booked an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so she can take a look at my ear since my dentist has already told me my extraction is healing well. I'm trying so hard to not look at my extraction from now on...I get the most anxiety when I look at it and since I'm out of the woods for dry socket and infection then I don't really need to check on it obsessively.
I don't remember my molar on my left side being so difficult but I was 10 years younger when it was pulled so I'm sure that helped me out with the healing.

Back