• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had partial denture to replace bridge but dentist chipped adjacent tooth

RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

I was so anxious about having my bridges removed and a partial denture put in. I had a panic attack when the dentist injected me before removing my bridges (UL3 and UR3) but him and the nurse were very understanding and lovely to me. I shook the whole time I was there and found the whole thing traumatic. Felt like I was losing two teeth basically. Eventually he managed to drill out both bridges. Then in went the plate. He seemed to alter it and then glued it in place. It feels bulky and very uncomfortable. I dont know how I will get used to it and the way it feels makes me feel anxious which isn't good. He said that some people do leave them in at night, but I am not sure that is advisable? As this wasn't an extraction, should I take them out this evening? He said it will be easy to remove by just wiggling the tooth false teeth and easy to put back in. This I guess I will find out. But I have noticed that my adjacent tooth has been chipped at the very bottom. It wasn't like that before and he never said anything at all. That concerns me...

A bit late now, I'd suggest leaving the denture in overnight for the first night, it helps to get used to it a bit quicker, after that I'd make sure to remove it at least a couple of times per week to give your mouth a break.

There's some denture care advice on the FAQ on here, although hopefully you've been given some by your dentist?

Could be a bit of cement left over on the tooth rather than being chipped away, it would be difficult to chip it where you seem to suggest, either way, it would be worth going back to your dentist to get it looked at.

Thanks Gordon. The dentist did admit to chipping the tooth a little at the bottom. He said he couldn't avoid it. He also said that I didn't have to wear the plate if I didn't want to, it wouldn't make any difference apparently? Apart from gaps showing. I will still wear it at times but I seriously hate the feel of it with a passion. It is like a thick rigid cardboard on my palate and tight and uncomfortable. Just for two teeth, I thought there would be something better created by now! I don't know if flexible dentures (though more expensive) are better? The dentist did say that he hoped he will be able to create a better bridge that will be more supportive, so I hope dentures are not the end result for me.

Flexible dentures can be more comfortable, also cobalt chrome dentures are more minimal and thinner. Or of course if the gaps aren't that visible then you could easily not bother with anything at all...

Back