• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had second opinion today. More confused.

S

scared0902

So I had my second opinion on my sensitive #31 today. She redid the tests--tooth responded to cold only. The xray showed no signs of infection or abscess but that "the ligament may be sprained or inflammed." What would that look like on an xray?

They did a bite adjustment and put a sensitivity varnish on. They said to give it a week and see how it goes. If it's worse, then a root canal.

1. I am still confused by the diagnoses. Can a sprained ligament (if there is such a thing) cause sensitivity?
2. Why do I need a root canal if the roots look okay?
3. If I do need a root canal, is it appropriate to say, "I like you as a dentist, but I know I need to be sedated at a higher level. Can you refer me to an sedation endodontist?" I guess I think I'll hurt his feelings.

It would show up as a slight thickening on the ligament area on the x-ray.

1) I don't know what the mechanism could possibly be, but from personal experience, yes it could.
2) It's a very effective way of getting rid of sensitivity
3) No harm in asking

Back