• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hadn't been in 7 years...went today...but now...

R

Roses

I of course need a ton of work done. :( I only went because a small piece of one of my teeth just fell off yesterday, and it scared me,and I've also had some bad pain in my teeth/jaw on one side the last month or so. And I knew I needed to go. So I went. Today. And I need 1, possibly 2, root canals. 2 wisdom teeth pulled (they've both broken through the gums), and numerous, numerous fillings. I asked the dentist not to go into specifics, and I refused to look at the xrays. I'm looking into the sedation dentistry where they put you out completely and do EVERYTHING in one visit. At the hosptial, wherever, I don't care, I cannot go to numerous appointments and not be a mess. I am so, so terrified. :(

Re: Hadn't been in 7 years...went today...but now.

Hi there :welcome:,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have the best of experiences :( - after mustering all that courage to finally see someone.

in addition to what Gordon has said on the Dentistry Questions section about the limitations of GA, it might be an idea to seek a second opinion, just to confirm that this work is actually necessary. Of course, it is entirely possible that this is indeed what you need, so it would be a good idea to have a look at those x-rays first and go through it with the dentist, even if it's difficult for you to do so. Just to make sure you're happy with the explanations of what needs to be done and why.

The other thing I'd look at, if it turns out there is a need for the numerous fillings, is *why* this is happening - and how to prevent it from occuring again. There can often be a simple explanation, for example, some people suck on mints all day without realizing that they contain sugar.

It's very understandable that you feel overwhelmed by things right now and terrified. But right now, the best thing to do might be to take a step back, and try and look at the broader picture. While getting "everything done in one go" sounds tempting, it probably wouldn't make for the best long-term outcome.

Congratulations for getting this far :) - we all know how much courage this must have taken you - and many thanks for joining!

I have a consultation with another dentist (one that specializes in sedation/general anesthesia dentistry) on the 22nd. I am thinking now that it will takeat least 2 separate surgeries to get everything done. I would say the cavities are from my sweet tooth, and the lack of flossing years ago. I think my entire life, I've only had 1 dental appointment where I didn't have cavities. And I went regularly until I was 17 years old.

I know I can't do this unless I am out though. And it's going to kill us $$ wise but I have no other option if I want to keep my teeth.

I know all this must be really overwhelming and terrifying for you - everyone on here has either been scared or is still scared, so you're in good company :).

See what the second dentist says at your appointment on the 22nd - people quite often have different ways of approaching things and s/he may have some different suggestions for a treatment plan. As lets has said, it might help to look at the bigger picture. Getting knocked out and having everything done at once does seem very tempting because you'll wake up and it will magically all be over won't it? Except that what you've described is a huge amount of work to have done in one session - not something that you'd recover from overnight I wouldn't imagine :(. Besides which, there are all the limitations/considerations that Gordon has already mentioned.

Have you thought about IV sedation? It is safer than a GA (less risk involved) and you won't know anything about what's going on - plus the recovery time is quicker too :). You can read about it here:

Also have a read of some of the success stories and other posts on this support board and you'll see that most people have positive experiences with IV sedation.

The amount of treatment you've described would make anyone feel overwhelmed, but you can get through it :). Smaller steps are quite often easier to handle when you've got quite a lot of work to be done. It is possible - some of the posters on here have had (or still have) quite a lot of work and although they're scared too, they're also doing really really well :).

hiya

up until a few weeks ago i hadnt been in about 6 years. for about the past 3 of those years i was in terrible pain :censored: but was too afraid of going to the dentist that i just kept on taking painkillers ang hoping the pain would go away. However it didnt and about 6 weeks ago i took the plunge and went to see a dentist :scared:. she said i needed extractions as my wisdom teeth were causing the abcess which had me in pain for so long. She said i needed 5 teeth out :scared:. needless to say i was petrified but with the help of a very supportive bf, friends and family i plucked up the courage to book an appointment. my appointment was yesterday and the dentist Michael Gough from southside dental practice in inverness was brilliant!!! He kept me calm until i was sedated. i dont remember anything about the procedure. when i came round i was told that he took 9 teeth :o!! my appointment was at 2pm and by 7pm and once the numbness had dissappeared i was fine :). i had no pain and have had no pain today at all!! it is a little uncomfortable to eat as i have stitches but no pain!! i am so happy and relieved :jump:that its over and all i have to worry about now is check ups which i am going to maintain regularly from now on so i dont have to worry again. I would advise everyone to go, i know its hard but if a dentist can get me on a chair and take 9 teeth from me-anyone can do it. Nothing the dentist can do will hurt you. the pain you suffer from sore teeth is the worst pain i felt in all those years. the two times ive went to the dentist ive felt no pain and i will be going back now to make sure i never have to suffer toothache again!!!!

Hi Anne - that is fantastic news :jump: :jump: :jump:!!

It would be really cool if you could post this on the "success stories" board, because it's such an inspiring post :).

Congratulations :respect: :cloud9:

Anne, that is wonderful! I have had (that I remember) 5 teeth pulled, I was I think 14. They did them 2 at a time. All with novacain, except one the dentist tried to pull without it, and the tooth was barely loose and I screamed (and then got the novacaine).

My appointment was bumped to this Friday, scheduling problems. I have talked to both my Dad & sister (both afraid of the dentist) and both of them have had the IV sedation, I am feeling MUCH more at peace with that than the general. My Dad even had it for a root canal, then wisdoms, and my sister for 4 wisdoms (2 different appt's.)

I keep reminding myself it could be worse, at least I'm healthy (ah, except my teeth,lol).

I went today to the for my consultation with the new dentist. It was great, they spent 2 hours talking with me! I didn't feel silly or stupid at ALL. And they said (though they don't take state health insurance normally for over 21 patients) they would take it for the stuff the state insurance will cover (fillings & extractions is it we think), and I'll be borrowing money from my Mom for the rest (I'll get the "hard numbers" next Wednesday or Thursday, he said it will be under $15,000, but likely over $10,000, I'm not sure if that's including what medicaid covers or not, whatever it is, it's at least $7-$8K, should've seen my Mom's face when I told her that, hehe). They did a new set of x-rays too. I need 3 root canals, ALL 4 wisdom teeth out, at least 1 crown, and about 8 fillings I think it was, and *possibly* one of the root canals could turn into an extraction, and then I'd get a lovely fake tooth put in (they DRILL into your tooth to hook the fake tooth in, which terrifies me). Something strange, on the bottom left side of my mouth, the ONLY thing I need done is a wisdom tooth out. No cavities or anything, isn't that bizarre? So anways, one of the Dr's there also does the anesthesia for an excellent endodontist (root canal guy), so they are thinking I should have the root canals done first, at the endodontist they work with, under "deep sedation" not general. And then I'll go back to them for everything else being done in one appointment, under General. They showed me the surgery room and explained everything to me (I can have nitrous first, so I'm not even awake for the needle in the arm, and they'll take that out, and also the tube down my *nose & throat* before I'm awake). And they gave me a valium that I can take the night before if I want, but they said it could make my nursing toddler sleepy, so I likely won't take that. And after the surgeries, it can take 24-48 hours for it all to be out of my system since I don't pump. With enough movies and Grandma/Daddy/Grandpa attention, the little one likely won't truly notice. Unless I get into the endodontist for the actual work (I have to have a consult with him first) the week after next, I won't go into that until at least July 10th. They said I could even go the very next day after that and have the stuff under General done, and that I'll feel pretty out of it for 24-48 hours (tired, droopy, etc.)

I didn't cry at all at this appointment, I'm in awe that they spent 2 hours with me (hygenist, and 2 dentists!) They were sooo nice. And I've been in the office before because of the kids, so I felt more at ease. It was just actually a great appt. I hope they'll let me go there for my regular cleanings after all this is done, because I'd be more likely to go if I'm already at ease with the place! I feel like I can do all this, and then if I ever have a cavity or two in the future, I can do it with just novacain. I just need to get over these BIG humps.

Saw the endodontist today. I need 4 root canals (with 4 crowns). 4 hours of anesthesia. Total with my other stuff, all this tooth stuff is going to cost me around $14,000. That's a small new car right there I'll be carrying around in my mouth. :( I've booked my root canals for September 14th. I'm feeling okay right now only because it seems sooo far off and we have a LOT going on in between now and then. But I'm going to start freaking out as it gets closer. :hidesbehindsofa:

Back