Halcion vs Nitrous Oxide

D

dental_fear

Hi,

I was just looking to get input from Dentists or people who have tried both or one of these was to be sedatated. I am curious which works better to help one relax at the dentist. I have used N2O in the past and it worked great.

Unfortunantly, at least here in New Hampshire it seems to be offered less and less, being replaced by "oral conscious sedation". Since I am now looking to go back to the dentist for the first time in a couple of years and it is too far to go to my previous dentist i have been trying to find a new one which with my phobia is loads of fun.

You would not believe how many don't have any relaxation procceses at all just as they put it, "numbing you up" or the "our office is very soothing and relaxing". Huh?!?

So I have found a dentist that I think I will like and he offers oral conscious sedation using valium the night before and then halcion the morning of. I have hear it works well but would really like more input if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

S

Stress Doc

Account Closed
You are correct, nitrous is being used less and less for a variety of reasons. Halcion is a sleeping medication that also has amnesia and anti-anxiety properties.

The medication works very quickly and can be "stacked" in dosing. This means you can be given a second dose after the first to achieve the desired level of sedation. The medication wears off in a couple of hours. This is the most common medication for oral sedation and is very effective.

You should not have any memory of the procedure and very few after effects. You are being given Valium the night before because it is a powerful muscle relaxant and os also an anti-anxiety medication. It has a very long half-life, 100 hours. This is the amount of time the medication is still active in the blood plasma.

This is an effective medication. You will be able to respond to directions and be very relaxed but have almost no memory of the event.

Blessings :D