• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Half-broken front tooth -- Hollow -- Suggestions please

I

ibtee

Dear Dentists/ Readers,

A friend from UK directed me here. I live in Lahore, Pakistan and am 22 years old.

I broke half of my upper front tooth (and a really minor part of my other upper front tooth) in an accident when I was around 7. For some reason, I was not able to get any dental work e.g. root canal etc done on it. Now after passing of almost 15 years, the half broken tooth is a hollow cavity. Also, around 3-4 years ago, a small pimple of sorts used to form in the flesh above that tooth in which white fluid used to accumulate. For a period of a year or so, fluid accumulated and released but it stopped happening after that duration. Now, it has started to hurt a little bit. Not feeling hot or cold in the tooth. Just a rhythmic sort of pain every now and then.

I have been getting dental consults here in Pakistan but can't decide which way to go. To summarize, most dentists say that first of all I'll have to get a root canal and then a bridge. The problem, however, is that bridge isn't that reliable. My mom got it for many of her teeth (about 10 years back) and few years ago, all of her bridge teeth fell off combined. Additionally, due to the lack of uniform and good dental care, my mom got Hep C while getting the dental treatment (Partly one of the reasons why I didn't really insist on getting my dental work done swiftly apart from monetary reasons).

One dentist also suggested a dental implant but he put the price at around 600 pounds (which is the cost of a government university education in Pakistan). So, I ask you all, please help me get on the right track for my dental work. I am really lost and fearful of the pain that may accompany.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
IbteeIMG-20120404-00228.jpgIMG-20120404-00232.jpg

Hi ibtee :welcome: you should really go and see a dentist so that he could have a look at the tooth, he could then tell you what treatment he thinks the tooth needs. Just because your mothers bridge fell of it doesn't mean that if you had one the same would happen. I have had a bridge for about 20 years and it has been fine.

I hope you find a dentist soon and get the treatment you need. :)

Hi Ibtee,

First of all - nice photography! Very clear images.

It is difficult to advise you without seeing an x-ray of your tooth.
It sounds like the nerve in your tooth has died and this is causing an infection which is the cause of the discharge and pain you have been experiencing.
The main factor in deciding which way to go is to assess how sound the remains of your tooth is. If it is very rotten, then it is best removed and a bridge, implant or removable denture could replace it.
If it is not too rotten ( and x-ray would help determine this) then root canal treatment followed by a crown would be the way to go.

If you did have to lose the tooth, a type of bridge called an adhesive bridge may be a less expensive solution.

Good luck in getting it sorted out,

Lincoln

I am interested in this because I can feel my 2 front teeth getting hollow, my dentist said they were okay, but they are a constant worry for me. I will follow this thread with interest.

I am interested in this because I can feel my 2 front teeth getting hollow, my dentist said they were okay, but they are a constant worry for me. I will follow this thread with interest.

Hey Carole,

There is a difference between your situation and Ibee's. He traumatised his tooth whereas i would guess your hollow areas a due to wear or erosion from an acidic diet. If your tooth is not rotten and the wear is minor it is often just monitored rather than filled. Can you post a picture?

Lincoln

No I can't post a pic, but my teeth were chipped when I was about 8 years old and the dentist just drilled them down, I am surprised I still have them as I am now 54. I am due to go to the dentist in June, and I will ask about them again. Thank you for asking it is very kind of you. I don't think at the moment I could take any more bad news about my teeth.

Also if I took a photo I would have to see as well and I don't want to see what they look like.

Last edited:
Hey Carole,

There is a difference between your situation and Ibee's. He traumatised his tooth whereas i would guess your hollow areas a due to wear or erosion from an acidic diet. If your tooth is not rotten and the wear is minor it is often just monitored rather than filled. Can you post a picture?

Lincoln

Thank you for the opinion Drhirst. I have new information and posted in the same forum with title 'Please help - About to get a bridge'. Would appreciate a response from you.

Again need to see xrays and patient but based on what I see my low impact treatment plan is root canal treatment followed with a white post and core and large bonding for now.
I would be very very hesitate to do a 4 tooth bridge.

Back