• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Half of tooth broken off..

M

micflair

Okay guys, im new here so go easy on me :)

A fair while ago I had root canal surgery, well - half of it.. I was so scared after having the root pulled out that I didn't go back to have the huge hole filled in, so have been coping for a while with a big hole. Well now I dont have a hole due to an `altercation' at work. I recieved a punch to the mouth and it broke my tooth clean off, just leaving the root of the tooth left in there, so now I have a big hole, with no useable part of the tooth showing.

Im going to go get it sorted it asap, but what will it entail? Because there is no tooth there for the dentist to pull at, will it mean cutting my gum and getting it out that way?

thanks for reading..

Mick

And typically I see the sticky at the top AFTER I post this.. sorry guys :)

Hi Mick, :welcome:

If you've now read the sticky then you'll know that most dentists regard a root as being easier to extract than a whole tooth, so no worries there hopefully.

I had a root-canal-treated front tooth that broke (when I was eating, not because I got into a punch-up :)) about two years back. Rather to my surprise, my dentist said that he could crown it instead of extracting it - he re-shaped the root and gave me a crown which had a post that fitted into the root canal. That kept me going for about eighteen months, then sadly the post broke due to further decay in the root and I had to have the root extracted - which took about two minutes to do. I now have an extra tooth on my top plate to fill the gap !

So good luck with your dentist and don't be surprised if he/she offers some alternative to extraction. Oh, and whoever broke it for you needs to be severely spoken to - you can't go around knocking other people's teeth out !

Sorry to be so dumb! I keep wondering what a "sticky " is Duh.

A "sticky" is when a mod makes the thread "stick" to the top of a section on the forum, it can also be known as "pinning a thread".

It just means that a thread with important or frequently needed information doesn't get buried down the page with time.

Back