• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hard lump formed on side of gum after extraction

B

balamory

I had two premolars extracted three days ago for my orthodontic treatment. Since then, a hard lump has formed on the side of the gum of one of my extraction sites. The other extraction site is healing very well and is completely painless but this site feels very painful and running my tongue along the socket, I can feel something tiny and solid but it is not extruding significantly out of the socket. I believe this is probably a piece of bone and I used a toothpick (I shouldn't have, I know!) and poked around in there (I was very careful and didn't touch the gum or the blood clot at all) and it feels like a piece of bone. There is no painful sensation upon poking it with the toothpick so it could be dead bone. Do you think it is a piece of bone? What else could it be?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
It is most likely a piece of bone, as you've suspected. Give it some time and it will heal over just fine. If the piece of bone is dead or unattached it may work itself out of gums over time. Again, not a big deal other than some slight discomfort that can go along with it.

Back