• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has an infection spread?

SkyBlue92

SkyBlue92

Hello I was wondering if someone with more knowledge and experience than me could settle my racing, anxious thoughts.

How do dentists know that there is an tooth related infection present in the body?

Do they need to perform tests?

How effective are the antibiotics that they prescribe?

Most importantly — how do you know if the infection has spread to your heart/lungs and is causing cardiac/ respiratory problems.

How would the symptoms present themselves?

My current situation is my bottom right wisdom tooth is half gone and the nerve is half exposed. The pain isn’t bad, it’s more uncomfortable than anything else. My cheek and gum in the immediate surrounding area however is painful to the touch. Bad taste coming from it.

Appearance wise there is no redness. Can’t really move the cheek or gum to have a good look but the cheek and gum - although painful - is a normal colour?

Occasional shooting pain across cheek every now and then.

I worry so much about my heart and my breathing. I tend to feel like I stop breathing in my sleep (wake up with no air in lungs and gasp for a breath sometimes.)

Heart is always straining and skipping beats. I can always feel my heart beat too no matter what I’m doing.

I’m so anxious!

To all those who have looked at this post/responded, Thankyou so much in advance.

For someone in half decent physical condition, with no underlying immune system issues or predisposing serious cardiac issues, then the risk of secondary infection is zero.

Dental infections are local to the site of the infection, i.e. the dead tooth, they don't spread around the body unless there's a bigger health issue going on.

I worry so much about my heart and my breathing. I tend to feel like I stop breathing in my sleep (wake up with no air in lungs and gasp for a breath sometimes.)

Do you feel tired during the day? If so, it would be a good idea to see your GP/medical doctor and get checked for sleep apnoea :)

Back