• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone ever had a root canal on the NHS by an NHS dentist.

D

Dentist hater

Has anyone ever had a root canal on the NHS by an NHS dentist?

Opinions please as i have been told that dentists wont do them, i am interseted to know if any one has had them and if they have been successful. Thanks for your opions.

They can do them on the NHS if they deem them clinically appropriate. The amount they get reimbursed probably doesn't make them an attractive proposition in many cases and also the skill level of the dentist is key in how successful one is likely to be.

It would be much easier to get a private dentist to do one since they can charge at a profitable rate for the actual time it takes them. I know this doesn't help you though.

What sort of tooth are you talking about...the molars are the most complex to do since they have multiple roots?

I need two and they are the the fourth one at top on left and the fourth one at top on the right

although it's better to have it done privately rct can definitely be done by an nhs dentist and they can be successful. my partner has an nhs root canal (molar) that's lasted around 6 years now and is still ok. my dad's had two nhs root canals done (again, molars) 30 years ago and they're still going strong with their original gold crowns on top! (but perhaps nhs treatment was a bit better in those days?).
good luck with yours, i really hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks olanda, yeah i think NHS was better in them days, now its gone downhill i think, i would love to save these two teeth! Dont know really.

Looks like not many people have had them done on the NHS. Well i am not sure what i can do.......

You must have your treatment by NHS dentist if you do not go private. It is much better to try to save the tooth with a root canal (even if it is NHS) than to just extract it because it might not work. Some NHS dentists will do kind and caring work with the best of intentions for the patients - I know this from some previous experience as although I have had private work done with an implant (still in process) I have also had many NHS treatments.
Perhaps you will ask some friends/family/colleague for a recommendation of a good NHS dentist near to you (or even at more distance and you will travel?).
I know of a very good NHS dentist near to the London area if you'd be interested in that? They are very helpful there and myself and my wife have had good treatment in the past.

Even though molar (that is, back tooth) endo on the NHS generally speaking tends not to be of a very high standard, there certainly are NHS dentists with an interest in endodontics who do a good job! So it is definitely worth asking (and ringing) around and finding out about NHS dentists in your area who will take you on. I agree that you should try and save these teeth if possible.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:!!

Thank you Antonio and letsconnect, i do not live in the london area but thatnks for the comment on the dentist.

I have - and I had no idea this was unusual. Dentist only said I'd need to be refered if there were complications. From what I've seen here, it sounds like I got an incredibly good deal!

Yep you did, how long ago was this? Was it just the one, thank you for your imput on this.

Dentist hater> (sorry but your name makes me *lol* every time)

this was only a few months ago.

I had one done 4 weeks ago on the NHS without a problem. My filling had eroded away in the tooth directly in front of my molar and there was an infection right on the nerve. The dentist simply asked me if I wanted an extraction(£40), or a root canal(£60). I'm only 20 so wanted to keep the tooth naturally. Took about 90 minutes all in (split over two sessions) and was relativity painless.

Aww thats nice to hear and i can understand fully why you would want to keep the tooth, i am 21 and want to save them too, thanks for your imput.

Back