• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone had receding gums?

N

Nae32

Im just wondering if anyone has had receding gums and if so, have they had treatment for it and what did the dentist do?
I have my first dental appointment in over 15 years next thursday and i know that i have decay in a couple of my lower front teeth but also noticed that one in particular there seems to be little gum if any left and that scares me. I dont want to lose my teeth, they are not loose and only one has just a small ache in it, but nothing to painful. I am worried about what the dentist is going to say to me when i go and i think my greatest fear is that she will tell me i need that tooth pulled out or some painful procedure done to fix the problem. My other concern is also that i am 7 months pregnant and that maybe nothing can be done till i have the baby.
Can anyone help.:cry:

Hi, Nae~
I can offer little information, but would suggest you call your dentist (do you have one?) and at least get a consultation. That alone could put your mind at ease so you can relax and concentrate on having a healthy baby.

I've heard conflicting opinions on what treatments pregnant women can receive. I had a root canal when I was pregnant, among other procedures, but my dentist wouldn't use LA. It really wasn't bad, even without the LA. He had the assistant blast the tooth with very cold water during the RC, which numbed it quite well. I was terrified the whole time, but I can honestly say I felt no pain.

My gums receded over the years, but not to the point of needing treatment before the teeth were extracted for dentures. My 14yo daughter, who has never had so much as a cavity, has receding gums that we're watching carefully. If they recede any further, she'll have to undergo grafting. My dentist assures us that it's easy and painless.

While you're dreading the worst, I bet your actual scenario isn't nearly as bad as you're imagining. That seems to be a trend here, which is a good thing! But, you won't know until you talk to your dentist.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Nothing your dentist would do would be painful because if it was going to be they would numb your mouth so you can't feel it.:cheers:

Hi there

I think I can help a bit about receding gums. Sounds like you have the problem I have which is where part of the gum has just receded from the tooth so you can see part of the tooth you aren't suppose to. The key to help avoiding it get any worse is for the dentist to do regular cleans (mine are 3 monthly) and for to practice really good dental hygiene which means brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day (my dentist told me that this was enough - but I do floss more!)

The pockets are measured. 1-2 mm would be 'normal' and I think if it gets to 6/7 you start to notice loosening.

Although receding gums don't grow back they can be prevented from getting worse so if your teeth aren't loose now there is no reason why they should become so - you just have to have regular cleans (which don't need any LA) and keep them extra clean yourself

Hope this helps a bit
x

Back