• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone had wisdom teeth out with local anesthetic only?

Susanne

Susanne

Has anyone had their wisdom teeth removed with local anesthetic only? Or with local and maybe a mild dose of an anti-anxiety medicine such as Ativan? What was the experience like? Have any of you done them one or two at a time instead of all four in one appointment?

Three of my wisdom teeth are fully or almost fully erupted and one on the top has not come through the gum. I'd prefer not to undergo IV sedation or general anesthesia for them, as I don't want to take any unnecessary risks, however small those risks may be. I think that as long as the tooth area is numbed up (local) and the dentist talks me through it, I would be OK. Maybe with the help of a mild dose of Ativan, too.

Do most oral surgeons try to steer you toward sedation or GA, or would they be willing to work with someone who only wants local (and maybe a mild anti-anxiety med)?

Hi Susanne

I think the dentists on here will give you a better idea as I think it varies from person to person, my other half had her wisdom teeth removed with local anaesthetic only at the hospital and she said it. Was Ok, I wasn't given the option as 2 of mine were impacted so I had mine removed in hospital under general anaesthetic.

think it's possible but depends on a number of factors and is best assessed by a dentist/oral surgeon.

I had the 2 wisdom teeth on my left side extracted with simple Novacaine, not because I was afraid of GA or IV sedation, but because that's how THAT dentist did everything. He preferred to do all his own "surgeries" and wouldn't send me elsewhere, even refused to send to me elsewhere as I would've rather be put to sleep.

It wasn't horrible, but it was certainly uncomfortable as I felt all the pressure, the sounds, the smells etc. I didn't feel any actual pain though.

I've had it done 3 times, all with just numbing shots.

I had my bottom 2 taken out first. Those were impacted under the gum. that was only bad for me because I was numb on both bottom sides and din't like that feeling.

I had the top 2 taken out at different appointments, just with local. it was fine.

there is some pressure and some noises but I didn't have any pain either time

Hi Susanne,

I had my bottom right wisdom tooth extracted about 2 months ago just under Local Anesthetic.. I didn't have a choice in the matter as it was an emergency situation, luckily it was a simple extraction. :)

Generally, dental surgeons prefer to put you under General Anesthetic if you are having all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time +/ if the procedure will be complicated or lengthy. It's easier for them and less stress for you. You can request for Local or General Anesthetic, but your dentist may refer you elsewhere, or the extractions may be simple and quick enough that using General Anesthetic would be unnecessary.

Having wisdom teeth taken out just with Local Anesthetic really isn't that bad.. there is some pressure and maybe some small cracking noises (you are having a tooth elevated out of bone remember!) but it doesn't take long and you won't feel any pain. :)

Back