• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it THAT common?

Trouts

Trouts

I haven't been numbed for dental work since finding a great hygienist and thankfully NO cavities till NOW! UGH!! Well, it's a filling that needs to be redone from 16 years ago I read up on the ingredient in Oragel and numbing gels the dentists use, and there is something called methemoglobinemia which is life threatening! OMG! I never had a reaction to Lidocaine or any "caine" meds in the past. I don't know if your body changes that much in 16 years. I would hate to have this happen! Is it that common? I am also hoping they don't have to stick something in my mouth to hold it open . I don't remember my last dentist using anything but his hand for that. I am going in this Tues to have the filling redone, trying to think happy and positive about it! The worst thing to fear is fear itself! :confused:

I think that the previous poster is perhaps in the wrong place. This is a place for people with dental related fears. I've never heard of issues with numbing gel (I've had a lot of dental work and have also used it for dental pain at home) or heard of anyone who has. That being said, if takes you anxious, it's certainly not mandatory. The dentist can give you local anesthetic without it. I honestly don't notice much of a difference -- should be pain free either way.

As for something to hold your mouth open, I've never had a dentist use a bite block (the rubber block to help your mouth stay open) for a filling. I've actually ask to use one for RCT because it helps me not have to think about keeping my mouth open. The only time a dentist didn't give me a choice about using one was for the extraction of my very impacted wisdom teeth -- I went to an oral surgeon for that and she was awful! Best of luck.

Back