• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone suffered from bruxism/grinding?

B

BlacJAC

Hi, today after my 3rd rct in 2 months, I was diagnosed with occlusal trauma, caused by grinding. The reason I was given that diagnosis, I've had 4 rct's and a wisdom tooth removed in the last 2 years. Each and every time, absolutely nothing has shown up on xray. No infection, no cracks and no decay and 2 of the molars were perfectly healthy with zero fillings. But all my molars do show signs of grinding. Also, the reason they are now opening up otherwise healthy teeth is because each and every time they have done so thus far, the nerve has been dying and incredibly inflamed so they know it's my teeth not neuralgia which they initially suspected. They're now toppling like dominoes. After today's emergency rct, I suspect I'll be back there 2 weeks tops getting yet another tooth rc'd. It's how my life has been for the last 2 years. Bad tooth pain that has suddenly went up a good notch or 3.

On to the grinding. I'm 46 and suffered from TMD in my late teens, early 20's. But it disappeared for decades, but it's all come back with a vengeance. I'm literally killing my all my molars now. I've worn a hard custom night guard (bottom teeth) for the last year or so, but that has done nothing at all. I wake my wife up with the intense squeaking noise I make from grinding that. My gums around all my molars are inflammed and 2 are beginning to recede. Again, caused by my grinding as there is no plaque as I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months since this all began.

So they're gonna try me with a top nightguard and see how I can get on. If that doesn't work, botox seems to be the next step. My bite is so messed up, they can't even file down the teeth to take the pressure of them because my bites is so out.

No idea why I'm doing this, but it seems like something I have suffered from for years. All my non molars are A+ and no issues at all. I would be most interested in hearing from others that have endured this or still enduring this. I want it to end. Not only is it causing me tons of pain (dying teeth and pressure pain under the teeth), it's costing me 1000's of £'s with no end in sight. I still want to keep my teeth even after all I've endured.

If you grind do not ignore it or underplay it. It's not something to be messed around with or ignored.

Last edited:
I have the same issue, but with clenching. I am 41 and had a custom nightguard made last year. Too late for me as well. I have been diagnosed with atypical facial pain as well as the clenching, because I have teeth that have had no filings or anything that hurt for no reason, along with pain in areas where teeth were extracted.
I saw a new dentist yesterday who told me that he suspects my clenching has cracked most of my molars and the amalgam fillings make it worse. I have had all my molars filled and starting last year, just like you described, one after another has started hurting. Only root canals failed (or now they think the neuralgia made me think they failed) so I have had extractions. I have lost three molars so far and am losing another, possibly two next week. It is awful, and I know exactly what you are going through. I have two molar implants right now. Once I lost the first one it messed up my bite and it has never been right since. I am probably going to lose all my molars at some point. The new dentist suggested swapping my remaining amalgam fillings for composite, since amalgam flex with temperature and may make the cracks worse.

I have the same issue, but with clenching. I am 41 and had a custom nightguard made last year. Too late for me as well. I have been diagnosed with atypical facial pain as well as the clenching, because I have teeth that have had no filings or anything that hurt for no reason, along with pain in areas where teeth were extracted.
I saw a new dentist yesterday who told me that he suspects my clenching has cracked most of my molars and the amalgam fillings make it worse. I have had all my molars filled and starting last year, just like you described, one after another has started hurting. Only root canals failed (or now they think the neuralgia made me think they failed) so I have had extractions. I have lost three molars so far and am losing another, possibly two next week. It is awful, and I know exactly what you are going through. I have two molar implants right now. Once I lost the first one it messed up my bite and it has never been right since. I am probably going to lose all my molars at some point. The new dentist suggested swapping my remaining amalgam fillings for composite, since amalgam flex with temperature and may make the cracks worse.

I had suspected my root canals had failed too because they were still painful and still are to a certain extent. Some more than others. But they haven't failed.

I had it explained to me that the pain is coming from the gums and ligaments because I'm still pushing down on to those. RC's only get rid of the tooth pain but because we're exerting pressure, the rest of the stuff doesn't heal or get time to heal. It's why 2 of my root canal teeth are painful to percussion still. I do believe them when they say it isn't a failed root canal now. I didn't for a long time, but i do now.

One of my molars is cracked, but luckily, it goes across the way, not down the way to the root so it was savable.

I still have awful pain at times where my wisdom tooth got extracted too (that was taken out 2 years ago). You sure you're not me talking to myself? lol.

I recently came across a hypnosis MP3 by @DrMike (one of the dentists on our advisory board) on eBay - might be worth looking into?

I had suspected my root canals had failed too because they were still painful and still are to a certain extent. Some more than others. But they haven't failed.

I had it explained to me that the pain is coming from the gums and ligaments because I'm still pushing down on to those. RC's only get rid of the tooth pain but because we're exerting pressure, the rest of the stuff doesn't heal or get time to heal. It's why 2 of my root canal teeth are painful to percussion still. I do believe them when they say it isn't a failed root canal now. I didn't for a long time, but i do now.

One of my molars is cracked, but luckily, it goes across the way, not down the way to the root so it was savable.

I still have awful pain at times where my wisdom tooth got extracted too (that was taken out 2 years ago). You sure you're not me talking to myself? lol.

It sounds really similar. My root canal tooth was painful to percussion and even a light touch, after six months and it had been taken out of occlusion completely. The endodontist said she could redo it but I was just done by that point. That started the whole mess. I think having that tooth out changed my bite and put pressure on other teeth and it just went downhill from there. I had a childhood injury on my front upper tooth (chipped off a corner which was replaced with a filing) and in the middle of the mess with my molars that tooth decided to abscess after 30 years of no issues. I had a root canal and an apicoectomy, which caused nerve damage and possibly triggered the neuralgia. Who knows? I have had so many issues that I am at the point where I just want them out when they hurt. I am tired of analyzing every twinge and feeling like they are time bombs in my mouth.

Here's a novelty, a molar on the other side has become very painful today. RCT number 4 probably tomorrow at emergency dentist. It's really painful and feels like the rest.

Here's a novelty, a molar on the other side has become very painful today. RCT number 4 probably tomorrow at emergency dentist. It's really painful and feels like the rest.

Oh no! I am so sorry.

Back