• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has Anyone Taken This Anti-Anxiety Drug For Dental Appointments?

S

Sango

Hi,

This is my first post to this website and I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

I have a dental appointment on December 14, 2017 (for a cleaning and checkup) and have been prescribed Clonazepam. I take Clonazepam as needed and am thinking about taking it for the dental appointment.

In the past, I would take Ativan but I have found, for the last few dental appointments (even though they are six months apart), the pills either barely worked or didn't work at all.

My physician started prescribing Clonazepam last year because I have social anxiety and I found it helped with that (dealing with certain people, even if they are not doctors or dentists, make me nervous). I also took some Clonazepam for a non dental-related appointment that I was nervous about a few months ago and the pills did work (I take 1.5 mg; for some reason any dose lower than that does not work for me - my doctor is aware of this).

I am unable to take Xanax or Valium since I have had bad reactions to both drugs in the past; I also tried Hydroxyzine but it just made me ill. I am also terrified of needles so I won't use IV Sedation (my regular dentist doesn't use sedation anyway).

My pharmacist told me that people don't take Clonazepam for dental appointments because it takes a long time for the medication to work and lasts a long time after you take it - I plan on taking it three hours prior to my appointment (it can take up to two hours for a drug to work - this is how long it would take for Ativan to work when it did work - I think giving it three hours to work is a good idea just to be on the safe side; that is what I did for an appointment that I was nervous about in the past) and I will not be doing anything else that day, I don't have to work that day.

Because my pharmacist told me that people don't take Clonazepam for dental appointments I am wondering if I should still take it for the appointment, since no other anti-anxiety medication will work for me (I tried Nitrous Oxide a few years ago at a dentist's office I was referred to for a filling but the Nitrous Oxide didn't work - I ended up having a massive panic attack and was told to leave - I told my regular dentist about that and ended up going back to my regular dentist and taking Ativan instead, the Ativan barely worked)

I am sorry for the long post, I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking Clonazepam for a dental appointment or if you would take it for the appointment based on what I said.

Last edited:
Other people on this forum have taken it before dental appointments. It takes 1-4 hours to reach full effectiveness, which isn't actually a terribly long time so I'm not sure what your pharmacist meant. If it works for you at reducing your anxiety, and you've successfully used it for other appointments, I can't think why you shouldn't take it for your dental appointment. :)

Other people on this forum have taken it before dental appointments. It takes 1-4 hours to reach full effectiveness, which isn't actually a terribly long time so I'm not sure what your pharmacist meant. If it works for you at reducing your anxiety, and you've successfully used it for other appointments, I can't think why you shouldn't take it for your dental appointment. :)

What my pharmacist meant was that people do not take it for dental appointments (that is what she told me). I will probably take it for the appointment; my appointment is for 9:15 a.m. so I have to get up and take it at 5:00 a.m. to make sure that it works :O - I've done that before though, for the other appointment that I had that was non dental-related.

Well, maybe she's never heard of it, but it has definitely been prescribed, as some people try many different anti-anxiety meds before they find one that helps them, and sometimes the one that helps them will be Clonazepam :p

Well, maybe she's never heard of it, but it has definitely been prescribed, as some people try many different anti-anxiety meds before they find one that helps them, and sometimes the one that helps them will be Clonazepam :p

Have you ever taken Clonazepam prior to a dental appointment?

Back