• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hate the wait.....implant healing questions

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
ughh.. so I'm on the tail end of my waiting 6 weeks to see if I can now get my healing cap put on this Friday . Its been 4 months now since implant. last time it wasn't dense or integrated enough, I'm so nervous this is not giong to work somehow and i'm going to be left gappy.. there are always dentures.. but.. I'd rather not.. I've been gappy for too long...... I hate the mystery of it.. and the wait.... I know it takes different times to heal and I should just be patient. and I'm REALLY glad my dentist is being patient and not rushing stuff. but. its hard not to worry...........

I already have 7 missing on the bottom and like 4-5 on top.. mostly all on right side. so no chewing power there.. that is where the implant is..

When is your next appt? By the time I get my implant crown it will be more than 4 months from the implant - probably closer to 5. I'm hoping patience with pay off in the end.

Friday.. I guess I will see then.. if its a go. or have to wait longer... I'd rather wait and be safe than not.. but.. still hard to wait lol

ughh.. so I'm on the tail end of my waiting 6 weeks to see if I can now get my healing cap put on this Friday . Its been 4 months now since implant. last time it wasn't dense or integrated enough, I'm so nervous this is not giong to work somehow and i'm going to be left gappy.. there are always dentures.. but.. I'd rather not.. I've been gappy for too long...... I hate the mystery of it.. and the wait.... I know it takes different times to heal and I should just be patient. and I'm REALLY glad my dentist is being patient and not rushing stuff. but. its hard not to worry...........

Ah yes the waiting game, that is very difficult. It's especially hard when you aren't crazy about dentists and it was hard enough to go through a procedure the first time nevermind the idea of possibly having to do it again. I just wanted you to know my fingers and toes are crossed for you that all has integrated nicely and you can be done with worrying about your teeth. Try to keep thinking positively, even if it's not easy. Keep us posted!

Thanks Anxious.. I just read your thing and seems you are in a bit of a waiting game as well for healing and next step... well at least we can all wait it out together :)..

Ah yes the waiting game, that is very difficult. It's especially hard when you aren't crazy about dentists and it was hard enough to go through a procedure the first time nevermind the idea of possibly having to do it again. I just wanted you to know my fingers and toes are crossed for you that all has integrated nicely and you can be done with worrying about your teeth. Try to keep thinking positively, even if it's not easy. Keep us posted!

Hi KRLovesherkids777, I do hope that your appointment goes well and that you will be able to get the healing cap placed. But if you still need more healing allow your body to have the time it needs so that you can have the best outcome possible. You want to have this tooth for the rest of your life!

Since I am at the beginning of this process, how long does the heal cap stay before the final crown?

Wishing you the best!

ScaredMAB

Last edited:
Thanks Anxious.. I just read your thing and seems you are in a bit of a waiting game as well for healing and next step... well at least we can all wait it out together :)..[/QUOTE

Agreed, support is very helpful! Getting ready for my appointment now, here I go again.

Scared,, good question.. I think.. its another 4-6 weeksish.. to have healing cap then take impressions then more weeks to final crown... but.. I forget what they say sometimes because I just want to get through it when i'm there lol.. then I go home like .. what did they say..? I remember most but not all.. yes..you are right.. I'm just going to wait for best results nomatter what and thank God I have a dentist with patience as well!! not wanting to push it... that is a blessing!! :)

Hi KRLovesherkids777, I do hope that your appointment goes well and that you will be able to get the healing cap placed. But if you still need more healing allow your body to have the time it needs so that you can have the best outcome possible. You want to have this tooth for the rest of your life!

Since I am at the beginning of this process, how long does the heal cap stay before the final crown?

Wishing you the best!

ScaredMAB

Are you going today? Hope it goes well!! let us know! :0..

Thanks Anxious.. I just read your thing and seems you are in a bit of a waiting game as well for healing and next step... well at least we can all wait it out together :)..[/QUOTE

Agreed, support is very helpful! Getting ready for my appointment now, here I go again.

well... I emailed them regarding the switcheroo and they responded well. just like I thought.. :).. however I did find out my dentist is now going to be out the day of my appt and I had to reschedule till next week... now I gotta wait ..... longer. aghhh.. oh well... the good news is he's going to a class and maybe it will be just the right timing with what he is learning.. and even if not.. at least I have someone who is continuing to learn which is always a good thing!! :)

Are you going today? Hope it goes well!! let us know! :0..

Hi friend,

I did in fact go today and since I've found basically no support on this site from anyone but you and one other I'll just post an update direct to you.

Had an xray which I assume was fine because he didn't say it wasn't. Then he examined my mouth and said oh no I don't like that, regarding how my bottom stitches looked and said he would have to numb me up and stitch me again. Of course this horrified me. Long story short the dental assistant held both my hands and after the sting of the needles I was able to cope with being stitched wide awake and without Sedation. I'm sore now, but I'm using ice and taking my ibuprofen and such and he wants to see me again in a week to make sure things are okay. He said it was his mistake for leaving a stitch resting against where my tongue would hit it that caused it to need further sutures, and apologized. He was actually very kind as as gentle as someone giving sutures to the inside of your mouth can be. I'm grateful he didn't leave it the way it was even if it hurt because what's important now is that I heal. I go back one week from today.

I also mentioned "waking up" during my IV Sedation and he said that they have no way of knowing when the medication is getting less until the patient actually shows signs of it or makes noise. So I told him please just make sure I'm numb when I get my implants. So that's what happened today, and thank you again for being kind and asking about how I'm doing and for updates. I wish more people were like you.

Anxious..

wow.. I"m glad he went ahead and stitched it right for you ... phew.. I hope it heals well.. Sounds like the dentist is gentle and fairly pleasant to be around, which is a good thing.. yeah you Definately want to b numb when you get the implants... and close your eyes if you are awake.. i made the mistake not to. yikes.. anyways.. always feel free to pm me. :).. I know the drill :p. lol ugh. no pun intended.

Anxious..

wow.. I"m glad he went ahead and stitched it right for you ... phew.. I hope it heals well.. Sounds like the dentist is gentle and fairly pleasant to be around, which is a good thing.. yeah you Definately want to b numb when you get the implants... and close your eyes if you are awake.. i made the mistake not to. yikes.. anyways.. always feel free to pm me. :).. I know the drill :p. lol ugh. no pun intended.

HAHAHAHA you actually made me LOL with that one! We both know that drill pretty well. ? You kept your eyes open for your implants?! Wow, you're a heck of a lot braver than I could ever be! Today is much better than yesterday. As long as I'm seeing little improvements daily it keeps me fairly optimistic. Thanks again for the laugh!

Glad I made you laugh :p.. we gotta have a few laughs going through all we do , right..! Little improvements are good .. as this title is I just really get nervous with the waiting and the healing and the not knowing.. the anxiety of the unknown... when do you do your implants again.?

Glad I made you laugh :p.. we gotta have a few laughs going through all we do , right..! Little improvements are good .. as this title is I just really get nervous with the waiting and the healing and the not knowing.. the anxiety of the unknown... when do you do your implants again.?

I won't do my implant surgery until January. It will take that much time for the bone grafting to absorb and trick my body into replacing my lost bone. I totally understand how you feel about the waiting game. Is it working? Is it not? Am I going to hear some good news after all this time or be sadly disappointed that I will have to wait even longer? So many unknowns. The good news is that neither of us is in any pain we can't control or immediate danger while we wait. This is a healing positive waiting period. Can you tell my attitude is getting a little lighter now that I'm not in agony any longer and am coming into acceptance of my new circumstances? The fact that I managed to eat a few good meals between yesterday and today has certainly helped too. I'm sure all will be well with your implants and the doctor is just being cautious like mine. They seem to dread repeat procedures almost as much as we do, and perhaps have learned from trial and error that using the longer time frame between is best. We just have to trust, as hard as that can be.

Back