• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have a tip to help upcoming appt anxiety

L

Laura robitaille

Hi..so I have my big appt on Friday to have the verdict given on my treatment plan. I am terrified. However, I did something that I really think has helped me prepare for the anxiety that I am sure to feel upon walking into the dentist office Friday morning. My 11 year old son just had his checkup and cleaning last week. It's a new dentist and office, and when I was in the waiting room I made a conscious effort to just listen to the noises and pay attention to the sounds. (The dreaded drill and suction noises etc). I realized that nobody's was freaking out or crying, everyone seemed relaxed. Apart from being envious of this I had an idea.....when my son got into the chair I asked the hygienist if she was ok with me recording the visit. No problem she said! So I recorded the whole process and ever since I have replayed it over and over and reminded myself of how calm Everyone was, and it has helped desensitize the environment a bit for me. It has really helped, and I thought would share this....

Thanks for sharing! I know not everyone finds it helpful or even possible to watch dental work being done, but I'm so glad it had helped you. I'm sure there are others who will see this who will find it very helpful.

Back