• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have dentists seen it all before?

C

Coldste

So I’m super nervous about the dentist check ups. I’ve basically got lots of staining around my teeth so it’s mostly brown, partly because I’ve not got the best oral hygiene but also because I’ve got really bad overcrowding on my bottom front teeth so getting a toothbrush in can be difficult. However my top teeth are also stained but not overcrowded.

Is staining something that dentists see everyday? Only I’m super nervous about opening my mouth and hearing him saying something like “oh there’s a lot of staining”

Yes, they definitely see that every single day. If you’re concerned about what the dentist might say, you might want to tell him ahead of time what you do and don’t want to hear about.

Also, staining is often easily taken care of with a good cleaning.

Yes, they definitely see that every single day. If you’re concerned about what the dentist might say, you might want to tell him ahead of time what you do and don’t want to hear about.

Also, staining is often easily taken care of with a good cleaning.
Thanks for feel a little better now, when I make the appointment I’ll ask if he can do a scale and polish

My last cleaning, the hygienist used this water jet cleaner, with baking soda. She said she loved it because it peeled stains right off. She made it sound like it was a really common deal, so I wouldn't stress over it.

A bit of staining is nothing.

Maybe us dentists could chip in here on the weirdest things people have done to their mouths?

My 2 strangest ones were a gentleman who had relined his ancient dentures with aquarium sealant and another who had "relined" her lower denture with brown bread... about 2 weeks ago and hadn't removed it since!
Can I advise anyone reading this that both of these are a really bad idea!!!

Thanks for your humor Gordon.. wow I am sure you dentists have had your fair share of interesting things seen.. I do also remember a posting that Comfort Dentist put when I was first on here when I was thinking I was the worst patient and he gave a list of "real worst patient " scenarios. which was reassuring I was not one of them :).

I do also remember a posting that Comfort Dentist put when I was first on here when I was thinking I was the worst patient and he gave a list of "real worst patient " scenarios. which was reassuring I was not one of them :).

Yes, I love that threat!! It's here and I dare to say that @comfortdentist's words there are probably the best reassurance against the fear of 'being the worst patient' out there, lol :grin:

I second this - if hearing a particular thing from my dentist has the potential to break my heart, I make sure to state it first. If you tell them you feel uncomfortable because of your staining and it makes you feel self-conscious, they will most likely reassure you and tell you they have seen it all.

Yes, I love that threat!! It's here and I dare to say that @comfortdentist's words there are probably the best reassurance against the fear of 'being the worst patient' out there, lol :grin:
OMG ptsd for me! I had forgotten about that post so I went and read what I had written. Mistake?

Back