• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have developed fear due to recent problems - don't know what to do now

M

mytoothhurts2

In the last 6 months I have had a root canal that is still sensitive and now only has temp filling to see if calms down. I've had an impacted wisdom tooth out that took an extra long time to heal. And now I had a filling on Christmas eve that is extremely sensitive to heat and cold and I have a constant ache. The filling was next to where I had the wisdom tooth out and I'm not sure if the extraction site has been reinjured or it's the new filling. The filling was too high so I went back after a couple of days to have it ground down (different dentist at same practice as mine is on holiday for January) but I have just realised that there is still jagged edges hurting my tongue - until now I thought it was just tongue injury from when filling was done but I put some chewing gum on the tooth today and realised it's a rough tooth as the tongue feels much better next to the gum. I'm terrified of going back in case extra grinding causes more problems. I don't really know what to do next.....

any thoughts appreciated - thanks!

If it doesn't feel right, you should call the office and go back for them to readjust the bite. I'm not a dentist, but I don't believe that bite adjustments can cause any problems. Not fixing the bite or the jagged edges may cause problems in the future.

Re: Have developed fear due to recent problems - don't know what to do & a question about filli

I'm also wondering - can a dentist tell the difference between the White composite filling and the actual tooth just by looking at it? The more I feel this tooth the more I realize it is really bulky on the side next to my tongue even though the cavity was more around the back. This might also sound like a stupid question but when doing a filling, shouldn't the purpose be just to fill the cavity? not to also bulk up the tooth as well? (Apparently the cavity wasn't that deep and there should have been plenty of tooth structure). I'm thinking of asking the dentist who grinds down the jagged edges to grind away anything that looks like filling that is not necessary to just fill the hole. Am I being reasonable or am I losing it? I am just in so much pain ......

If a filling is too high it can cause a world of hurt. It is a simple thing to correct but it is really, really painful until it is done. Sometimes they don't have a direct route to the cavity and have to drill around or over etc to get to it and consequently need to fill that way. The other thing you may be feeling is kind of like a sprain from having the neighboring wisdom tooth removed. My understanding is there is often pressure placed on nearby teeth that is essentially like a sprain or a bruise and takes a while for that to heal. If your bite is off it is reinjuring that sprain or bruise every time your teeth touch. Sorry you are so uncomfortable. I know how miserable any changes in your mouth can feel and you've got a lot going on at once!!! Hopefully a simple bite adjustment will help make things feel MUCH better very quickly.

To answer you question about being able to tell composite filling from tooth, the answer is, yes, the dentist can tell by looking at it. I can actually tell on my own teeth what is composite and what is tooth.

update & questions

So I went to have the tooth ground down today - can't tell if has worked yet especially as the pain in my lip is taking all my attention - as the dentist cut my lip while grinding down the tooth!!

my questions which I didn't think to ask my dentist at the time:

why is there even filling to grind down? The new filling is on the side of the tooth around the middle at the back of the tooth - there is no tooth next to it there just a wisdom tooth extraction site. Would he still have come in from the top and then put a great big slick of filling over the top of my tooth for no good reason? I've always had such good teeth (I've looked after them) no gum disease, minimal fillings but this last episode started out as a bad dream and has become a nightmare.

2nd question - would it make sense to take some low dose prednisone to see if the inflammation subsides?. I take it sporadically for another condition and was wondering if it would work on teeth

thanks everyone - your info and support here has been great.

Back