• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have I reached extraction city?

S

Shackleton

Hi all new member. I'll keep this as succinct as possible...

tl;dr in advance.

• 35 yr old male, fit and healthy.
  • Root canal performed on a new porcelain crown in 2006, left a "gumboil" but no pain.
  • Re-treated a year later, reduced size but lump still there.
  • All tx performed by general dentists.
  • Seems to be getting larger/firmer now, intermittent low sensitivity with cold exposure.
  • If I opt to have this treated this will be the 3rd time, is it time for extraction?

When I was 11 I cracked my front right incisor and had an NHS crown put on.

Fast forward to 2006, when I was 22, I paid a lot of money for a top-drawer porcelain crown privately. Like an idiot I used a home-whitening kit on it within a few days and developed a horrendous infection (still can't pinpoint whether the kit caused it) regardless, I was young and stupid.

The same private dentist performed the first root canal I had, which cleared up the pain but left me with a noticeable gum boil at the front of the gum in that area. Around a year later, having registered with another dentist I had this root canal re-done, which reduced but did not clear the lump.

Now, 2018 this abscess is still there but seems more firm and large lately although it grows and reduces every few days. There is no real pain associated with it.

The last x-ray I had done on the area in January showed an infection obviously, but 3 of the NHS dentists I have seen all seem reticent "best leave it if it's not causing pain".

More to the point, it can't be good to walk around with essentially an abscess, even if it's pain free.

Would any dentist risk doing a 2nd revision on this, or would it all depend on the x-rays? With this long term an infection, will bone stock inevitably be compromised? This hasn't been picked up or advised to me thus far but then again NHS dentistry is not known for it's thoroughness unfortunately.
Many thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
NB - I know I've been irresponsible to a degree by not having this rectified for all this time, however I have to stress it has caused me very little in the way of irritation until fairly recently. Basically I had asymptomatic teeth until a few years ago, and it's the last 6 months I've had to seek treatment for anything dental. As a result this has put this issue at the forefront of my mind and it's obviously not going on it's own. It has been seen by numerous dentists. All of whom seem to prod and poke and xray, but advised to leave alone...

NB - I know I've been irresponsible to a degree by not having this rectified for all this time, however I have to stress it has caused me very little in the way of irritation until fairly recently. Basically I had asymptomatic teeth until a few years ago, and it's the last 6 months I've had to seek treatment for anything dental. As a result this has put this issue at the forefront of my mind and it's obviously not going on it's own. It has been seen by numerous dentists. All of whom seem to prod and poke and xray, but advised to leave alone...

Id prob pay and see an Endodontist before extracting it? I don’t think it’s good to leave a known infected tooth in your face! Especially if u want an implant later as u need bone density for it to take. Keep us updated

Id prob pay and see an Endodontist before extracting it? I don’t think it’s good to leave a known infected tooth in your face! Especially if u want an implant later as u need bone density for it to take. Keep us updated

This. I second the suggestion to see an endodontist before extracting it especially since you mentioned that the tooth has been treated by general dentists. An endodontist would have more experience in dealing with root canals and would also have microscopes that would enable them to see better and reach all the canals to do a thorough disinfect and clean. If a 3rd re-treat fails, you could also enquire about getting an apicoectomy.

Back