• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have little confidence in my dentist

B

buffgirl23

I'm in the final step of having an implant put in. Dentist keeps complaining about my small size mouth, before finally uses a smaller instrument
Well today I almost lost it.. he said HE'S nervous about putting in my crown because of my size mouth!
I finally said something about using smaller instruments, etc!
I have to finish with him because crown is paid for

Not sure he should have used those exact words but I get where your coming from I have a small mouth+hopefully getting to the end of my implants. Where abouts are you?

Final step is left... crown
My 3rd one, too... so I know how it should go
How about you?

Oh I ment where abouts are you from? but that's ok. Well I had my first appointment (at the new place) last wk+have 5 more on the cards (supposedly) so I think he's looking at the last one in august,they've got to make the teeth+attach them.

I'm in the final step of having an implant put in. Dentist keeps complaining about my small size mouth, before finally uses a smaller instrument
Well today I almost lost it.. he said HE'S nervous about putting in my crown because of my size mouth!
I finally said something about using smaller instruments, etc!
I have to finish with him because crown is paid for

Hi there.

As said before, doesn’t sound like the best choice of words to say to your patient so I can see it must be frustrating for you. When is the crown appointment? Hope all goes well. Remember it’s not your fault you have a small mouth!

Yeah, definitely poor choice of words. I have a small mouth with overcrowding. I had braces as a teen, but over the years my teeth shifted again to where some overlapped slightly. I have had four implants now. The trickiest one was my front upper incisor. The original tooth was forward a bit and slightly overlapping the other incisor. My dentist acted like it was no big deal, even when he had to adjust the size of the tooth next to it to make the crown fit. They definitely can make it work. It sounds like your dentist may be one of those people who thinks out loud.

Hi,

as a dentist I can relate to the difficulty but on the other hand it does not justify offending anyone.

Hi,

as a dentist I can relate to the difficulty but on the other hand it does not justify offending anyone.
I'm more nervous now it's going to get screwed up

I'm more nervous now it's going to get screwed up
The mouth opening issue is essentially a technical issue which the dentist needs to solve.
what I do in these situations: choose small instruments like a small mirror, small suction, small everything. I also ask the patient to keep the lips relaxed when opening the mouth. The most important thing is for the dentist to work patiently.

Would it be an idea to have a chat to your dentist before you start the treatment next time? You could let him know how it makes you feel when he complains and also point out that even if you wanted to switch dentists, it's not possible mid-treatment. Last but not least, you could ask him how he plans to do the procedure and what measures will he have in place to make sure the crown will be well placed. This may help you to get a bit of control over the situation and to get some information and will also allow your dentist to become aware of how powerful words can be.

Back