• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have to go back to the dentist for the first time in years, panicking..

M

maranti19

I've had awful experiences with dentists more than I've had good ones, unfortunately. This has created an extreme dental phobia where I avoid it at all costs until I'm forced to go. Today, I noticed one of my teeth feels sharp and there is definitely some type of cavity there. I know I need to go get this fixed, but at the thought and realization of this I broke into tears and haven't been able to control myself. I feel SO scared, anxious, terrified, and really do not want to do this.

Last time I found a "sedation dentist" as I have been dealing with this fear for as long as I can remember, he seemed nice and I was trusting, however I still encountered the same issues. I experience extreme anxiety beforehand and during the appointment, which they've tried to give me valium and laughing gas for (also before and during) and that doesn't help at all. I have a very high tolerance? resistance? to medications as even my psychiatrist notes and this is no different with numbing meds. It's painful to be injected (obviously), and it doesn't work very effectively or long at all before I'm feeling that intense pain and crying for more shots, which I hate. At that point my adrenaline is too high and I don't feel any type of numbing relief so the rest of the appointment is incredibly painful but I just need it done and try to get through.

I have gotten as far as reading reviews and emailing a new dentist to see if I can go in for a talk before scheduling an appointment. I'm hoping this may help.

Not even sure why I posted here, I think it's just because none of my family or friends can understand the severity of what I am feeling right now.

Hi maranti19 :welcome:,

sorry to read about your awful experiences.. after having experienced painful treatment (which in your case sounds as an understatement) like you did, it's no surprise that you are terrified of dentists!

I think you have been very brave already for starting to look for a dentists and particularly to see if you could just get in for a chat. Given your past experiences this sounds like the best first step. Many people who are scared try to push themselves into getting through treatment, be it because of an emergency when there is not much of a choice or with the intention to do use sedation, but if you haven't build trust with your dentist and do not approach the treatment gradually, most of it won't work. It sounds like you still might benefit from some help of sedation, however trust and a kind caring dentist should be a pre-requisite. Have any of the practices you got in touch with gotten back to you?

Of course you are at the right place here and will find a place to vent and a lot of support here - in the forum, in the articles and in the success stories. You might also wish to take a look at the can't get numb article in our common fear section.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and give yourself a pat on the back, because you are already making progress:)

Hi maranti19 :welcome:,

sorry to read about your awful experiences.. well, phobic or not, after having experienced painful treatment (which in your case sounds as an understatement) like you did, it's no surprise that you are terrified of dentists!

I think you have been very brave already for starting to look for a dentists and particularly see if you could just get in for a chat. Given your past experiences this sounds like the best first step. Many people who are scared try to push themselves into getting through treatment, be it because of an emergency when there is not much of a choice or with the intention to do use sedation, but if you haven't build trust with your dentist and do not approach the treatment gradually, most of it won't work. It sounds like you still might benefit from some help of sedation, however trust and a kind caring dentist should be a pre-requisite. Have any of the practices you got in touch with gotten back to you?

Of course you are at the right place here and will find a place to vent and a lot of support here - in the forum, in the articles and in the success stories. You might also wish to take a look at the can't get numb article in our common fear section.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and give yourself a pat on the back, because you are already making progress:)

Thank you! That is very helpful and encouraging to read :)

They haven't gotten back yet as it looks they're closed on the weekends, so I am hoping tomorrow they will.

I am going to check out that section right now, thanks!

Maranti19

Hello. I also commend you for writing , and thinking of this and the next steps.. Its evident you want to take care of yourself both physically and emotionally through the process.! I agree with Enarete. An initial chat appt would be a great first idea.. After my dentist left the first practice I met him at I didn't know what to do... being a super nervous patient but needing work. I went for a few meet and greets they did free of charge just for me to get to know them and see if its a fit and I feel comfortable. I went to 3 places. I felt comfortable at 2 of them. really comfortable.. it was a great opportuinity to talk before any instruments go near me, or any masks on the face. So highly encourage this :). I actually ended up finding my dentist again, but my sister ended up going to one of these I did the meet and great and loves them!! hope you find someone kind and good!

Maranti19

Hello. I also commend you for writing , and thinking of this and the next steps.. Its evident you want to take care of yourself both physically and emotionally through the process.! I agree with Enarete. An initial chat appt would be a great first idea.. After my dentist left the first practice I met him at I didn't know what to do... being a super nervous patient but needing work. I went for a few meet and greets they did free of charge just for me to get to know them and see if its a fit and I feel comfortable. I went to 3 places. I felt comfortable at 2 of them. really comfortable.. it was a great opportuinity to talk before any instruments go near me, or any masks on the face. So highly encourage this :). I actually ended up finding my dentist again, but my sister ended up going to one of these I did the meet and great and loves them!! hope you find someone kind and good!

Thank you! I actually was able to get a consult for today, however I am currently encountering issues with insurance which is just really adding to the stress of everything. Hoping I can just go meet them, and postpone the x-ray if absolutely necessary..

I'm glad you were able to find a good fit!

Remember you are in charge :) Its your mouth and boundaires. and if they respect that , that is a good sign. Do what you feel a peace with. hope you have a great appointment .. let us know how it goes ! and thanks :).. There really are a lot of great caring and honest dentists out there!

You are already farther along than you realize: reading reviews and posting here.

You’re on your way.

Soon dental anxiety is going to be afraid of you.

Little update for you all! The dentist was very kind and understanding, everyone there was. It turns out I need all of my wisdom teeth removed as well as two root canals. He agreed it would be best for me to go under and sleep for the whole process, so when I wake up my teeth will have been cleaned, and everything fixed at once. One of the hygienists even said she had a similar situation and the same dentist put her under and got everything done at once for her.

I'm thankful there is a solution, however I'd be lying if I didn't say this wasn't opening a whole new can of worms for me. I have never had surgery or anything that requires anesthesia like that, and I'm terrified I'll wake up in the middle of something super painful, even though I'll be numbed after I go out.

Thanks for all the support here, it's nice to know others are rooting for me :)

Little update for you all! The dentist was very kind and understanding, everyone there was. It turns out I need all of my wisdom teeth removed as well as two root canals. He agreed it would be best for me to go under and sleep for the whole process, so when I wake up my teeth will have been cleaned, and everything fixed at once. One of the hygienists even said she had a similar situation and the same dentist put her under and got everything done at once for her.

I'm thankful there is a solution, however I'd be lying if I didn't say this wasn't opening a whole new can of worms for me. I have never had surgery or anything that requires anesthesia like that, and I'm terrified I'll wake up in the middle of something super painful, even though I'll be numbed after I go out.

Thanks for all the support here, it's nice to know others are rooting for me :)
I think everyone feels that way the first time they’re faced with sedation. I was more terrified of the anesthesia than anything else (not dental related). But I know what to expect now. In fact I just had my appendix out 2 weeks ago and was so glad when they knocked me out lol. I am also going to be sedated for dental work soon. I’ve had it before, but it seems like it’s changed a bit since I’ve had it last. The dentist told me it would be closer to a twilight sedation rather than a conscious one, and that some people surface slightly but that they usually don’t remember anything. Hope everything goes well for you. ?

I think everyone feels that way the first time they’re faced with sedation. I was more terrified of the anesthesia than anything else (not dental related). But I know what to expect now. In fact I just had my appendix out 2 weeks ago and was so glad when they knocked me out lol. I am also going to be sedated for dental work soon. I’ve had it before, but it seems like it’s changed a bit since I’ve had it last. The dentist told me it would be closer to a twilight sedation rather than a conscious one, and that some people surface slightly but that they usually don’t remember anything. Hope everything goes well for you. ?

Good to know! That's reassuring to hear, I'm sure that was quite the relief to be out lol. I know I'll be glad when I'm reeeeaally asleep and not WORRYING like I keep trying to tell myself not to.. ha.

Thankfully my dentist said I should pass out and wake up once it's over, I hope that whole twilight thing doesn't happen but if it does I'd rather not remember. He said I'll be rousable, so if he shook my arm and tried to get my attention I'd be like, "..huh?" and nod back out. That was kinda reassuring somehow. Reading the success stories is helpful, too.

Thank you for your response! :)

Back