• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven’t been to the dentist in 8 years

Hey,

Today marks exactly two days before my appointment and unfortunately, I’ve not been doing so well. I fear being alone, even for a few minutes, because I spiral so quickly, I’ve cancelled all the exams I was supposed to take this week and I‘m on sleeping pills because that’s the only way I calm down enough to get a decent amount of sleep. So, it’s been hard.

I think the tooth I’m focusing on the most is my front one because it feels weird. It feels tight and my gums tickle around but I can’t pinpoint exactly where because it moves around and I’m just so terrified that my two front teeth are dying. I mentioned two front teeth having “tiny” cavities, right? Well, on both teeth I noticed a black line going from the cavity towards the gum and ever since I noticed it, I’ve been dead sure that both teeth are cracked below the gum line and there is no saving them, even though I feel no pain on pressure or sensitivity that would last longer than a second. I know this means nothing though and I can’t stop thinking they’re cracked.

I called my brother yesterday because he’s the only person I know who’s close to my age and has had quite some work done that goes beyond a regular filling. All this time I thought he had only one crown but he told me he actually has two because two of his teeth died and he’s then had to have root canal and then some fake nerve put in and the teeth were then crowned. He also had all his amalgam fillings taken out because they’re illegal in the country he lives in and he like didn’t have a normal white filling put in but porcelain? I’m not sure but it was some fancy ass filling and his teeth look amazing. He’s been telling me to calm down because he’s sure everything’s gonna be okay and fixed and he even jammed his whole phone in his mouth so he could show me how good his teeth look after all the work he’s had done. I felt amazingly confident after I’ve talked to him but it only lasted a few minutes because I KNOW he has an amazing dentist but the said dentist is private and I’m going to one that takes my insurance and I don’t even know if he’s a good dentist. My distrust in people is now awake and ready to ramble.

Anyway, my family is looking into some extra dental insurance for me because I’m currently the only one who doesn’t have the extra insurance and I’m thankful that they’re thinking of me and actively working for my peace of mind but guys, I’m so terrified I don’t think I can do it. I mean, I know I’m going to do it because I want to have my teeth healthy but I just know I’m gonna cry and complain my whole way through it. I feel so weak and sad and discouraged and so, so, so incredibly scared and worried. It feels like this whole thing is consuming me and I just can’t. The more I look at my teeth, the more sure I am that my front tooth is dying, the two teeth next to my front teeth are cracked and will need to be extracted, there’s decay under all my filings and god knows what else that I can’t even tell because, despite my self-diagnosing tendencies, I am, in fact, not a dentist.

I’ve gotten a message today, a reminder that my appointment is in two days. As if I would need a reminder for that lol.

Thanks for putting up with me. I hope all of you are having a better time than I am right now, x

Maliasheart, sorry I've been absent for a while.
Just came to see how you were doing as I know your appointment is soon.
Hope you are not worrying (too much). :)
You are at least going to know more after it.
And, yes, "ramble" if you want or need.
It's kind of why we're here?
Anyway, just popped on to say good luck and, no matter what; you are doing well.
Much braver than you think you are.
Very, best wishes.. :)

Maliasheart..

:grouphug: I feel for you... I get that feeling when the countdown is on and you are close to D day and feeling the panic of it all.

It does sound like you are good with self care and listening to your body and your needs with cancelling your exams and just focusing on your immediate needs to get through with least amount of stress.! :welldone:

The good thing is. this is a start, if you don't know the dentist, you are in control and decide if you do work there. If you don't feel understood ,heard or cared for you can maybe try your brothers dentist or another.. but I'm rooting for this office and dentist to be kind, competant and compassionate !

Soon you will have answers and I pray a good peace! You are brave and can do this! ?

Hi, hey, hello,

I just walked out of my dentist’s office. First of all, I hated having my x-rays taken. Second of all, I cried a bit but both the nurse and the dentist were very nice. And with “very nice” I mean they took their time explaining everything to me and answering all my questions and being very lovely and calming. Though I have to say that I didn’t have the dentist I thought I would, it was a woman and I hope I can keep her.

About my teeth: I don’t need root canals, crowns or even inlays or onlays. I wouldn’t even need a new filling as my dentist told me to keep flossing and then come back in a half a years time. They did put a tooth on the watchlist because there is a cavity developing but it has not progressed enough for it to be drilled. I mentioned to her that I would want to have my amalgam fillings taken out and replaced and she was like “YAY! We can start right now! Are you ready to start right now?” and I was crying a little but yeah, I was ready. I did have some decay under the filling but she drilled that out and put a while filling over it. She did tell me that she was going to start with a small one as to not overwhelm me so I suppose there’s some bigger things coming which terrifies me a little but she repeatedly told me that a new filling is all I need and there will be no teeth pulling in the next twenty or so years so I guess that’s great.

She told me my teeth look pretty and that she can tell I clean them well (she told me to be gentle because she can tell a gum pulled back on one tooth) but other than that, I’m fine!

And the two cavities that I can see bc they’re black, they just stopped on their own and she sees no need to drill them because she doesn’t want to damage heathy tooth tissue. She explained to me that as long as it’s not sticky, there is not going to be any drilling.

I’m still sitting in the waiting room because I need to wait to make the payment and get a new appointment to get another filling replaced.

Overall, I think I’m very happy. Still worried that I’m gonna end up with an abscess (just because she told me that they have urgent care here, in case I ever need it which obvi triggered me to think that she thinks I might have an abscess in the near future).

Guys! You lot are amazing and so incredibly supportive and I don’t know how I would force myself to go had I not gotten your support so thank you. Thank you so much. I now have had a professional look at my teeth and tell me that they look healthy and fine and I also have a new filling (by the way, she asked me to tell her if it feels too high but I don’t know if it does??? She gave me local anesthesia and everything feels weird right now I don’t know if it’s too high!!!) that’s white so I’m a pretty happy champ right now. I’ll keep you guys posted because I’m sure I’ll find something new to worry about, but for now I think I’m on a good path.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend and THANK YOU! SO MUCH!:hug4:

Nailed it! Excellent stuff. :) Such a good read. Well done indeed.
What relief I feel for you. Happy days...
Yeah, maybe have yourself a bit of time without worries now. You have earned it.
But you know where we are, should you need. :)
Have a good weekend and remember to treat yourself!!

Maliasheart!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :welldone: :perfect: :thumbsup!: This is all great!! So glad they were lovely with you! and such a good report!!! You are an inspiration for sure and glad you braved this and came out the other end amazingly!! Thanks for sharing this!! This is surely some good positive momentum!!

Reading your story and finding that I'm going through the same thing. I keep tapping my front tooth, terrified that I'm going to need it extracted. I cry and obsess. I don't want to eat and I can't focus. I google and take pictures of my teeth. It's awful

This thread has really helped me. I'm glad everything worked out so well for you!

Reading your story and finding that I'm going through the same thing. I keep tapping my front tooth, terrified that I'm going to need it extracted. I cry and obsess. I don't want to eat and I can't focus. I google and take pictures of my teeth. It's awful

This thread has really helped me. I'm glad everything worked out so well for you!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been very busy with exams! I hope you’re feeling better now and if not, I hope you’re on your way to feeling better!

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way, I know exactly how hard and exhausting it is and I wish I could do more than tell you not to worry too much because I know it’s not much help.

What I can tell you is that every single (and yes, healthy!) tooth is going to start to feel weird if you keep tapping it. Think of it this way; if you constantly poke at one of your lymph nodes they’re gonna get painful and irritated, even if there was nothing wrong with them before (and trust me, I’ve been there... many times. Even caused myself some pretty big bruises that way). There is a million nerves in your body and they would all act up if you tapped on them all the time. I’m very happy this thread helped you and I’m so very sorry I didn’t reply earlier.

Hope you’re better now!

Hey, guys!

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? First of all, I hope everyone reading this is doing okay in the current situation because I know the anxiety gets much worse when there’s not a lot to do in order to distract oneself.

Anyway, the last time I posted was when I came back from my first dentist appointment in years! I’ve been doing pretty well since then, got two of my fillings replaced, one was a piece of cake and one is being a problem child but it’s all good as of right now.
I’ve also mentioned, that my dentist discovered some receding gums. She was not at all concerned or anything, she just told me to brush more gentle. BUT! This is where my current worry starts. I know I don’t have gum disease (or it’s at least very mild) because my dentist didn’t mention anything (told me everything looks healthy) but I don’t know why my gums are receding? Why didn’t she offer treatment? Is it going to get worse and I’m going to lose my teeth because of it? She specifically told me there will be no teeth pulling in the next twenty years and I’ve held on to that statement as if my life depended on it because it made me feel so much better and safer. Now I’m doubting it. I know my gums are receding on at least 4 teeth but only one is to the point where I can feel a little “bump in the road” if I run my tongue over it. It’s barely visible if I try to look for it though. All the other teeth don’t have the bumpy feeling yet but one’s close to it. I’m just so worried and I constantly check and poke and drag my flosser on my teeth to see if I can feel the bump on any tooth but the one where I know it’s present. I’m terrified of brushing my teeth because I don’t want to make it worse (obviously I still force myself to brush twice a day). A little fun fact lol; on the upper front tooth the gum is a little bit higher up on one part as on the other front tooth and I know it’s gum recession BUT my little sister (she’s 16) has the exact same thing on the exact same tooth and she thinks it’s hella funny and adorable because we have a matching tooth with a weird gum and I’m freaking out for the both of us, lol. I wish I could be as carefree as she is.

My worries right now aren’t nearly as consuming as they were back in december/january but I can feel myself slipping. Am I gonna lose my teeth? I’m 22, why am I even having gum recession? Why isn’t my dentist more concerned? Shouldn’t I be having a gum graft or at least deep cleaning or something? Guys, I’m scared?

Hi maliasheart, great to hear that you've been doing so well - congratulations :party:!!

Some people genetically have thinner and more delicate gum tissue which can predispose them to gum recession. Your dentist's advice to brush more gently is good. Use a rechargeable electric toothbrush and glide it across your teeth and gums gently, at a 45 degree angle towards the gumline. Allow the brush to do all the work – do not scrub.

There's no point in a deep cleaning in the absence of gum disease, and gum grafts are not something that is usually considered unless there is severe recession. It's obvious that your dentist doesn't think there's any major problem - some degree of recession is very common.

You may also want to have a look at this thread (warning - contains photos of teeth):

Hi maliasheart, great to hear that you've been doing so well - congratulations :party:!!

Some people genetically have thinner and more delicate gum tissue which can predispose them to gum recession. Your dentist's advice to brush more gently is good. Use a rechargeable electric toothbrush and glide it across your teeth and gums gently, at a 45 degree angle towards the gumline. Allow the brush to do all the work – do not scrub.

There's no point in a deep cleaning in the absence of gum disease, and gum grafts are not something that is usually considered unless there is severe recession. It's obvious that your dentist doesn't think there's any major problem - some degree of recession is very common.

You may also want to have a look at this thread (warning - contains photos of teeth):

Hi! It’s been a while and I apologize for not replying sooner! I’m a very anxious person, ESPECIALLY when it’s concerning my health and so the past few months have been literal hell for me.
I’ve read your reply and the post you linked and it has calmed me down completely regarding my gum recession fear. Thank you!

Back