• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven't been to the denstist in 20 years.

S

Scaredy_Kit_Kat

I am 29 years old and I haven't been to the dentist since I was around ten. I don't want to really get into details why. I am going to have an appointment in the coming week or so and am very anxious. I am terrified that when I go they'll tell me they have to pull every tooth. Then I'll be left with no teeth and no funds to aquire dentures. I know I have cavities and possibly a couple that have to be pulled.

Hi Scaredy_Kit_Kat:welcome:,

sounds like you have been pretty brave already. I know things do not feel like a success at the moment, but scheduling is a huge step, so give yourself a pat on the back for it. By the way, this forum is meant to be a safe place for you to get support and it's all about your comfort - you decide what you would like to share and what not.
We have a good article here addressing the fear of extensive treatment which sounds like what you are experiencing now. The important thing to remember here for now is that you are in control. Most people think they need more treatment than they do and obviously you won't know before you saw a dentist, but the important point is that YOU decide what will be done and when. Your dentist is only here to give you suggestions and have a chat to you about what they saw, but then it's all about you.
In my experience even people who were pretty sure they would lose all their teeth haven't so chances are you need less treatment than you think, but regardless what is needed, you are the boss. Anxiety sucks and it makes you think of the worse, but anxiety is a liar.

Hi Scaredy_Kit_Kat

5 years ago I was in your exact spot. It had been 20 years since my last dentist appointment. I thought my teeth and gums were so bad they would all be pulled and I would need some sort of gum surgery. All I needed was a deep clean, some old worn out amalgams replaced and a few cavities filled.

Anxiety and fear of the unknown makes us think and imagine the worst.

Good for you on making the appointment. That was the hardest part for me.....to get the ball rolling.

Wishing you the best!!

Good job taking that first step and making the appointment! That's probably the hardest part! Most likely you won't need anything more than a few fillings, fingers crossed for you.

Scaredy-Kit-Kat.

AS the rest have said.. really congrats.. for taking such a huge step of courage , its a big one and you should be proud.. and you can do it one step at a time.. That is what I encourage you, not to think too much ahead, write down questions and concerns , and bring them in and as others have said know that YOU are in control and they need to make you feel comfortable. If they don't there are a lot of other options out there that would love to help an anxious patient who is ready to step out in courage!! Glad you are here and hope we can be of encouragement to you in your journey!! :grouphug:

As the other folks here said excellent work in making the appointment and you should be proud in stepping up and getting the ball rolling.

If you can (I know it would be really hard) maybe try and block the 20 years aspect out of your mind as much as possible, that's just a number and in the past. Just think, as soon as you go to your appointment that wont even be true anymore!

Wishing you best luck with the appointment!

Back