• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years

H

Hannita

I havent been to the dentist in close to 10 years. The only work I've had done has been a few teeth getting extracted. I neglected my teeth for a long Time. I know I have alot of bad teeth and I'm so terrified to go to a dentist but I know that I need to get them fixed. I have been in alot of pain lately.

Hi Hannita:welcome:,

sorry to read you are in pain. Have you taken a look at the practices in your area to see wether there is one you feel might be kind and help you with your fear?
Posting here is a great first step, you will find a lot of support and good advice here.
Is there anything in particular that terrifies you when it comes to seeing a dentist?

All the best wishes

Hannita,

It is really scary to take the first step and call and then walk through the doors and meet a new dentist and staff. I agree with Enarete, this is a great first step. and to look at web and fb pages for those with good reviews from anxious patients!! There are alot of great caring dentists out there that will love to help you. Its not easy to put yourself out there and try it but its worth it . You are worth it!!

I'm just so scared to actually call and go. My husband isn't being the most supportive but he is urging me to go. I have asked him to come with me for support but he said no. So that isn't helping but I will do some research and find a dentist that is good with nervous patients.

Hannita,

That is really hard when others aren't the most supportive , calling is a very hard step. Here is a a really good link to a video by Dr Daniel from here on DFC about finding a good dentist. Its really helpful as the other videos are too.

I hope you find someone that is very compassionate and helpful! Take it step by step

Your husband said no? So sorry to hear that.. do you have any friends or family members that you feel might be more supportive? From my experience, making the first steps feel like fighting yourself as everything in you just doesn't want to go and you have to somehow go anyway. It might be a good idea to email your practice and explain them how scared you are so that they can put you at ease. Sending you good wishes, keep us posted.:there-there:

I think my mom would go but then I would feel even worse about it.

Hi Hannita - Just wanted to say I took my mum with me last week and didn't get any odd looks or anything, its good to have someone for the company if nothing else, I find its better to have someone talking to me than to be left with my own thoughts. Why would you feel worse with your mum there? I'm sure she'd be happy to be helping you :)

I would just feel foolish. I asked her and she agreed to go with me. Now I just need to actually call and make an appointment

I would just feel foolish. I asked her and she agreed to go with me. Now I just need to actually call and make an appointment
Oh don't feel like that, honestly, no one else will so much as bat an eyelid. Well done for asking, I'm glad you'll have company! and good luck making the appointment, personally I think you've done the hardest part already in making the decision to start the ball rolling :)

Back